Rack tom sounding like a basketball.

ChristopherDawn

I have our drummer's rack tom miked up with a e609 silver running to soundcraft m pres.

The sound I'm getting is less than desireable. I'm getting that 'bwong' basketball sound.

I'm thinking about just rolling up some toilet paper and taping it to the head to calm it down a bit.

Anybody have any suggestions that could help?

Hot shit, really? Hm.

Here's an unmixed version of one of our songs (we're redoing all of them). At the very beginning you can hear what the rack tom sounds like (before the guitars come in).

That's how he likes tuning it.

No other solutions other than tuning it down lower?

ChristopherDawn said:

That's how he likes tuning it.

Well, it's a shame that he doesn't know how to tune drums. My guess is that it is an 8 x 12 or a 9 x 12 cranked up way too much. You can't possibly expect a shell that large to resonate at the pitch in that recording. Only suggestion I can give is to point the mic more at the point of impact, set about a 6:1 comp ratio at 33ms attack and about 100ms release. then eq out the ringing frequency just a bit.

fenix said:
Well, it's a shame that he doesn't know how to tune drums. My guess is that it is an 8 x 12 or a 9 x 12 cranked up way too much. You can't possibly expect a shell that large to resonate at the pitch in that recording. Only suggestion I can give is to point the mic more at the point of impact, set about a 6:1 comp ratio at 33ms attack and about 100ms release. then eq out the ringing frequency just a bit.
Thanks.

i think you can loosen the bottom head and kind of take care of that and i dont think it will take away from how high pitched he likes it............i dont really know how to tune drums, so dont take my word for it..i could have it backwards.

just ask him to try it and if it doesn't work, then you can put it back the way it was.

and by the way.......cool song

I'll be damned if that song doesn't have some Avenged Sevenfold influence in it. That is one fantastic song! I love the melody in the guitar. I know this is an unmixed version and all but I would suggest that you use some compression on the overheads to give your cymbals some more pop. Great song though, I love it. Is this your band? Have a website I can check out. I am a huge fan of the OC punk/hardcore hybrid that's brewin in the underground right now and that's exactly what your song reminds me of. What kind of vocals go with it? I definitely want to hear a finished version with everything in it.

Justin

donkeystyle said:
i think you can loosen the bottom head and kind of take care of that and i dont think it will take away from how high pitched he likes it............i dont really know how to tune drums, so dont take my word for it..i could have it backwards.

just ask him to try it and if it doesn't work, then you can put it back the way it was.

and by the way.......cool song

Ding! I didn't read this until today, but last night I taped some muffle crap to the BOTTOM head and the ring went away.

Fall From Grace said:
I'll be damned if that song doesn't have some Avenged Sevenfold influence in it. That is one fantastic song! I love the melody in the guitar. I know this is an unmixed version and all but I would suggest that you use some compression on the overheads to give your cymbals some more pop. Great song though, I love it. Is this your band? Have a website I can check out. I am a huge fan of the OC punk/hardcore hybrid that's brewin in the underground right now and that's exactly what your song reminds me of. What kind of vocals go with it? I definitely want to hear a finished version with everything in it.

Justin

We have some older stuff (before I was in the band) at purevolume.com/silentopposition. Our website is www.silentopposition.net but it's pretty terrible.

We all know who A7x is but I don't think any of us listen to them. Haha.

And the cymbol problem. He only had ride cymbols during that tracking session and we bought two new crashes so that's why we're retracking! :)

Watch for me in the mixing forum because that's where the songs will be when they're finished tracking and starting to be mixed.

Oh, and if you want to hear four more unmixed instrumental versions send me an IM on aim or shoot me an email.

I'd have to agree with fenix. Damping techniques and fixing at mixing stage is never going to give you the best outcome. All drums are made to be tuned in a certain range based on their size, material, etc. When you tune a drum above or below that range the drum will never sound like it is supposed to. It is similar to taking an 'E' string on a guitar and placing it as an 'A' then just cranking it up until it is pitched correctly. It wasn't designed for that and will therefore never give you the best results.

If that's the way he 'likes' it, then there are some good suggestions above and good luck.

Back