rack setup question

thenextbigthing

I posted a thread awhile back on how i should hook up my rack stuff, and then later on, i guess about a few weeks later my amp head blew up, im just wondering if i set up my rack stuff wrong or not, here is my setup:

my pedal board to my PQ-3 eq, that to a hush c rocktron silencer thing, to my amp, and it seemed to work just fine, until my amp just out of the blue, smoked up the house. Could all that electricity fried it up?

thenextbigthing said:
my pedal board to my PQ-3 eq, that to a hush c rocktron silencer thing, to my amp, and it seemed to work just fine, until my amp just out of the blue, smoked up the house. Could all that electricity fried it up?

One of your speaker cables probably shorted out.

sounds like dgatwood is right.

fried an output transistor? could quite be. if you have the skills, or the guts, open it up and take a look. you will notice immediatly if you look. output transistors are black kinda squarish things, usually connected to some sort of heatsink, with some kinda of gel-like stuff, could be blue or white or whatever, coming out the sides a tad bit.

should be like 7 pins into the circuit board. if you have some PC board soldering skills, it should be cake for you, as long as you can source the parts.

the parts are like $2 a piece. a tech will getcha with the labor, it takes a while to desolder all those pins. my tech quoted my $70 to replace ONE.. i did it myself for $2 and a half hour's labor.

or i might be completely wrong and your problem is entirely different.

Could all that electricity fried it up?

Not really.It seems you could have had an intermittant short on your amplifier output.The cables could do this. Are you running the right sort of speaker load? Too small a load could bring down the output stage of your amplifier. Have you connected extra speakers to your amp?

TragikRemix said:
fried an output transistor? could quite be. if you have the skills, or the guts, open it up and take a look. you will notice immediatly if you look. output transistors are black kinda squarish things, usually connected to some sort of heatsink, with some kinda of gel-like stuff, could be blue or white or whatever, coming out the sides a tad bit.

Depends on the output transistor. Most of the ones I've seen have been a half inch in diameter, silver-looking, and vaguely looking like an alien spaceship.

G4269B.jpg

2sd870_thumb.jpg

Output transistors come in different packages. If you smelt and saw lots of smoke you probably burnt out a resistor or two as well. Cooked tracks aren't uncommon in that sort of failure either.

thenextbigthing said:
so its alright to hook up everthing the same way i had it or what?

Well, the inputs, yes. However, you should check all your speaker cables for shorts, then get the amp fixed before plugging it in again.

Back