Rack recorder -different question

krs

I need a dumbed down rackmounted stereo recorder that records at 48/24bit, no convertors just frikking digital ins and outs.

Masterlink seems to be the only option, but I don't really need the burning or the DSP.

Thanks for any tips. I don't want one of those Tascam CD recorders, this is for location, needs to be reliable and I'd rather it not be a laptop.

Is there such a product?? :D

Well, the ML's are really cheap right now (I suspect a Firewire version is in the works) and has a good amount of hard drive space...

If you don't need the DSP, just don't use it (I don't like it either). Still, it's a great piece for live to two-track without having to replace tapes or discs, the you can rough edit on-board and export a CD or CD24 (24-bit AIFF files).

It's a happenin' little box. :)

It's just I don't want to pay for convertors! I have a Trak2 which is completely a$$-kicking.

Yeah i know the Masterlink is cool. Probably just have to wait a few months and save my pennies. Grumble.

ML is going to cost you about the same amount as anything thing else with less features... and the converters are excellent...

Another vote for Master Link

The ML's A-D really is pretty good... Not wild about the D-A, but not they're certainly not "bad" or anything...

Grumble. You'd think there'd be some other options out there. I'll keep looking.

Laptop wise, I'm thinking about an AMD machine. Anyone running Audacity for Windows? Love to run it on Linux but i doubt i'll have the time/patience to sort the audio interface. The Trak2 has both the ADAT and 1394 Ambus cards, and I was wanting some opinions about the best ways to get to the laptop (ie breakout box, direct FW, something else I didn't think of)

Ideas?

I use Audacity at work and as a way to capture sound from my BR 1180CD to my PC for quick copies of WAV files for later proofing. Not for quality but for listening for any musical errors or arrangement ideas. Why go to a rack mount recorder if you have a laptop and CD Burner and you are using audacity for recording, if you don't mind me asking? I guess I don't understand what you are using it for.

I don't have the laptop already, I need a mobile solution for stereo live recording. (So any 2 track rack recorder or sample accurate software on an AMD machine will do the the trick).

Thanks for the input. :)

You can record in stereo with Audacity. Plus you can't beat the price... free. But you don't have a laptop. Maybe you could get a small portable digital recorder like the BR 864. I've seen them used for $299, or new for $395.

Thanks for the tip - I'm guessing that puppy is only 16bit, since they don't advertise it as 24, and I need this solution to be 24bit.

Pretty much looks like I'll have to go with Masterlink or a laptop with some kind of breakout box.

Other suggestions welcome of course! Thanks :)

Back