Rack mounted distortions

birdie3

I recently picked up a rack mountable distortion and it sounds great. The only problem is that it doesn't work too well in the switching department when used in a chain with the rest of my gear. Personally, I think it would be much better if there were a good sounding distortion unit like this that is MIDI controllable and can offer several user defined pre-sets.

Does anyone know of such a device?

That looks cool. I am looking for more of an "AVEC-AMP" type of technology but this may do the trick. Would this sound good through a guitar amp or should I use this through a power amp (ie: my P.A. system)?

It's intended for a power amp, but I use mine thru a guitar amp. It sounds awesome. If you click on some of their sound samples, you'll get an idea. It sounds just like it...and it can be used for bass, drums...maybe vocals. It's all analog, but no tubes.

Unfortunately, they're not releasing a new batch until sometime in August. Until then, you may need to look for a used one. I was lucky enough to find one on ebay from Ralph Grierson (does movie soundtracks for Disney and others). I think he used it with his piano...?

The out of production ADA preamps may work for you but they are getting pricey, harder to find and may need some work but I believe they had the first real tube preamp with MIDI controlled presets (or the first successful one).

www.adadepot.com has an active forum and links to at least two upgrade outfits dedicated to upgrading these.

Never used one myself but this could be a solution for ya.

If I ever see a cheap one at a garage sale etc I will definitely grab one for upgrading. I don't play enough electric guitar to justify the current prices on e-bay etc but it could be a good investment for you.

Back