Rack mount vs on floor

rguagenti

I am considering either VoiceLive or VoiceWorks for live performance and recording use. One is an on floor pedal(VL) and the other is a Rack mount unit(VW).

I do not have a rack nor have I ever used a rack so pardon my next stupid question. Can I use the VW as a stand alone unit and just set it on a table or something. Are there additional things you need to have in order to use a rack mount unit.

The reason I ask is because the rack unit is cheaper than the floor pedal, but both do the same thing.

THanks for any help and advice.

It's a matter of convenience. You can certainly use a rack unit anywhere, even if it is not in a rack. But it will be bulkier and less convenient to carry around if you ever want to take it to a live gig.

However, if you have multiple rack units or think you eventually might, then it can be much more convenient to put them into a small rack and carry that to live gigs. You can wire up the power and audio cables and make it so you have less to set up at the gig. This can be easier than dealing with a bunch of loose pedals.

It really is up to you and what you find to be more convenient.

rguagenti said:
I am considering either VoiceLive or VoiceWorks for live performance and recording use. One is an on floor pedal(VL) and the other is a Rack mount unit(VW).

I do not have a rack nor have I ever used a rack so pardon my next stupid question. Can I use the VW as a stand alone unit and just set it on a table or something. Are there additional things you need to have in order to use a rack mount unit.

The reason I ask is because the rack unit is cheaper than the floor pedal, but both do the same thing.

THanks for any help and advice.

Rach mount means it is 19" and can be mounted in a rack if you have one.

It is OK to ask simple questions. I got in trouble early on when I hung a rack mount compressor on a salesladys boobs. I wanted to see if it fit her rack. She slapped me, so I had the same question for a long time until I met a flat chested saleslady who answered this very question. She, like you, had no rack but said I could still put the unit on a table.

When I put my "unit' on the table she slapped me..................

I am still waiting for a definition of "unit"

Good Luck!

Back