Rack ears for a E-mu E64?

blazingstrings

dgatwood can **** himself
Hey all,
I just got a E-mu E64 with a Glyph CD rack drive and a pile of sample disks and manual for $100.00! :)

Even thought it had pretty much everything with it, it didnt have any rack ears........ :(

Anyone know were to find any?

Anyone have a E64?

thanks!

-Blaze

You could try contacting Emu, they may still have a pair of rack ears laying around. Or keep an eye out on eBay, but I've never seen the ears auctioned separately.

Otherwise, you may need to get a rack tray for it.

Hmmm....
I was just looking at a rack tray, I wonder if it would fit in there though.

I e-mailed E-mu and asked, so we shall see.

Laters

-Blaze

Wow. over 17 pounds. Heavy sucker. Clearly has to be steel. That makes it harder....

Okay, go to Home Depot and buy yourself two steel hinges---the kind designed for fence gates, not for a door.

Once you have done this, get a piece of charcoal and some rice paper (tracing paper) from an art supply store. Place the paper on the side of the unit. Rub the paper with tracing paper. You now have a template for drilling holes in the longer section of the hinge to coincide with the holes in the body of the unit itself.

You may also need to drill new holes on the front plate to line up with the holes in the rack using a similar template technique. Once you're done, you should probably trim the plate with a hacksaw so it only occupies 1U or so.

Note that a hinge might be too thick to physically fit, so check before you start drilling. If that won't work, look around for steel cover plates in the conduit section, then bend one roughly in half corner to corner using a brick (or concrete block), a blowtorch, and a hammer.

Outside in the MIDDLE of your driveway, place the metal on top of the brick and tape it down in such a way that the edge of the brick goes corner to corner (or along some line that is parallel to a line from corner to corner---measure the distance to various holes and see what will work best). Note that you will be using the edge of the brick to make a bend in the metal. If the brick is not tall enough to make a 90 degree bend in the metal, you will need to raise the brick on top of something nonflammable.

Turn on the blowtorch. Use this to heat the metal until it begins to glow. Remove the blowtorch and turn it down or off. Using the hammer, pound the metal into a sharp bend. Turn off the blowtorch.

Once you have approximately a 90 degree bend, continue with the instructions above (generating a template and drilling holes).

Hmmm.....
Not a bad couple of Ideas.... I have a buddy who does high-rise steel work, and is a welder maybe he could cut an build me some......
I supose I could just build a shelf in my rack case(its a all wood home made case so modding it up wouldnt be hard.)..........

I'm still wondering if I could use a Rack shelf(middle atlantic or whatever) and just add a suport at the back of it.

Thanks again.

-Blaze

Yes, all you need to do is support the rear of the rack. That should do it, unless you are really going to be putting some G forces on this thing.

No no G-forces but maybe some odd noises.
Its just gonna sit at the top space of my rack case at my right side near my controller in my studio(wont leave).

SO I guess I can build it a perminant home there. Hmmm maybe I could just trim down the 16space rails I have so I can just build it a shelf..........

I'll be back!

-Blaze

Back