Rack Basics,...

eternalmuzik

I'm sorta new to home recording,.. i got my computer with cakewalk, i got my tape 4-track, i got a Boss digital recorder, mics, keyboards, headphones,mixer, monitors, all of that stuff but i dont have any rack equipment, like i've heard of compressors, and effects and all that but whut are the BASIC things i need and they have to be CHEAP,. im on a budget so if theres any1 who knows anything jus let me know
thanks

If you are using some cakewalk , you should have all of the the FX you need in the PC. what version are you running?

Fangar

2 things

If you want to buy rack stuff, go for a reverb unit (check out a used Yamaha REV500 or a Lexicon MPX100, then you got the cheapest good quality stuff.
And a compressor:
-RNC ($190) best thing probably under $500 (that's what everybody is telling me, anyways...;) )

SO remember, -reverb- -compressor-
Or check out the Waves L1 software.

Speedy

dont do what I was tempted to do. that is..dont buy rack stuff just for the pretty lights and bragging rights.

Mmmmmm.... pretty lights.....

Yes, Webcyan is right. Although right now my plug-ins are giving me fits, in general I think that is the way to go if you have not already bought any rack gear. It depends on your exact situation.

Although I own no rack equipment I have used it and it's much better than pluggins simply because of the tangability. I can reach out and touch it any time I need to and I dont have to navigate menues or fight through other windows on the desktop. I just reach out, and it's there.

I agree with hoky outboard gear is great, never crashes and usually sounds better.

Compression is a must and can be cheap.

I found behringer compressors ok for drums.

I see the point raised by you guys, but feel that it depends on how one is recording. For those who are using a computer for mixing down, Plug ins are much easier for most people and can have very positive results. Although I record to ADAT and not directly to computer, I send the completed dry audio tracks to PC for FX and mixing. Connecting external FX to a PC can be a pain in the cornhole in many cases. Also, I think that you have more control over your FX. For example if you only have one Delay/reverb/compression machine, and you want a different reverb for each instrument... unless you record wet, that can be a real challenge. With Plugins you do not face this same challenge.

Uh - Oh, Hoky brought up that Tangibility issue again... =)

Fangar

Fangar you basically described how i want to work,record to my Adat Dry (apart from the usual inserted gateing and compression) then with my adat card transfer them relatively dry to PC for mixdown effects editing and extra tracks.

But i just cant seem to get as good a sound as useing the outboard gear.

Im useing Cubase VST 5 but thats it apart from some free plugins (blue line)

Would it be fair to say that i need to unclench my tightarse and spend some money on plugins or Effect DSP's to get in the same ballpark as the outboard gear.

I know this topic has probly been thrashed out but it seems you work in a way that i want to and while were on the subject fang....

Mixit,

Hey bud. I am not familiar with Cubase. I use the Sonic Foundry Stuff. Vegas Audio for mixing and stuff and Acid for Dums. I find that the plugins that come with it are great. Quite a few different good ones. I have not had the best of luck with trying to use free ones. There is always something that has kept them from working properly, well or at all for that matter. I have had far better luck with the quality of my mixes via Vegas than I have had externally though. Good luck,

Fangar

get a:

compressor (behringer composer or samson s-com are both cheap and decent)

mic-pre (behringer mic2200, art tube, presonus blue tube, all cheap and usable)

reverb unit (lexicon mpx100, lexicon mpx200, roland srv3030, those are cheap and not bad either)

that's a good, cheap, and basic set-up.

ARt tube?! Hell no!

Although I like being recommended by others (thanx Ghetto3jon), I have to say that your Art Tube MP recommendation isn't great.
In fact, with an Audiobuddy you'll have a 2(!) channel mic pre amp that's much better quality(sound and built-wise) and cheaper too ($79).
I dunno about the Behringer Ultragain though, but I HAVE heard that the Tube in it doesn't light up, but that there is actually a LED behind the Tube...

cheerz

Back