R&B song...Please Listen, I need Your Guys Input

tbiddy38

I recently recorded this song in my home studio, My best friends and I run and operate the studio, and I've been putting together as many songs as possible, and writing as much as I can for the last 3 months. This is an R&B song, and I'm singing, I'm using a Sade Sample, for the Piano chords, but the rest of the track, (bassline and all), is us. The track was produced by Jermaine Bell, and I wrote the song. We have other original tracks that we're writing and recording, but this is the first finished one. Tell me what you think, tell me what you would have done differently, and be honest, enjoy. Paste this link: (I think I put up the wrong one earlier, here it is now)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=461474

Last edited:
here is my take on it yes definately fatten up the vocals it sounds like across between el debarge and MJ. That aint a diss its a good place to land but it sounds more 80's vocally. beef them joints up and make them warmer. sequence wise you are good but i do have issue with the actual sounds you used. what did you use to make the beat? rnb used to be completely dreamy and soft but now rnb has a stronger prescence of competition beat wise. this could be a ggod neo soul rnb track. the drum pattern seems a lil boring. thebeat dont complement the energy the vocals posess

on a positive side.
I like the lyrics the sequencing overall its a good beginning to a great track with some needed changes. I am wondering tho what equipment you use tho. Keep doing ya thang

damn. he does sound like mj. haha. thats crazy. yeah fatten the vocals(redundant i know) i hate the beat personally but it falls right in line with modern hip pop r&b tracks. if you use an 808 or 909 drum kit it would sound perfectly commercial. and also add more of a low part to the harmony of the chorus vocals

hey it does have an "older" retro - r n b style -- but that is not a bad thing - marketing is the vital role to make ANY song work for the audience it appeals to --

i can see the mj/debarge comparison - but again - who da phuck cares!!! that just makes it more easily "identifiable" -- any one that liked mj/debarge back then, are in line for this!!! and any neo sould peeps will dig it!!!

yea - i agree the vocals seem "thin" [n hell, generally, i dont know jack about this] -- hey - i got a song im lookin for a singer on -- wanna work on that too? holla in pm if so --

i like the song - hands down, i like the song -- sheit - if i burn this to a cd - i can git my girl in the mood 2nite!!!!--by the way -- can i spit on the remix????? lol -- but im 4 real!!!

Good lookin...I used an MXXL tube mic, (a gold one), and a eureka mic pre...(we recorded it in the closet). We used protools LE on an Imac G5. I just used the effects on Protools, nothing else...(budget). We used fruityloops make the track. Thanks about the MJ comparisons, he's obviously one of my idols, as are Stevie Wonder, Marques Houston, Justin Timberlake, Usher Raymond, and Prince. But I'll fatten the vocals, ya know that was the first time I ever mixed a song so I had to get your guys input....I'll try to get my other tracks done soon so you guys can hear them....I don't know what to do with them though, any suggestions? Thanks

Not bad, I like the writing, and I have to agree, you do have a MJ tone. I'm not gonna repeat what everyone else said, but I do agree with them. My advice is to play around with your melody on the second verse a little more, especially going into the second chorus. Bring the energy up a little more on the second verse. Maybe add more background vocals, or harmonies (I love background harmonies, If you get a chance, check out Thank God For Music on my site), or even go into your falcetto. I would also put more ad lib riffs in the second chorus too. I like when singers build the energy up towards the end. As far as the track, I would suggest either making the drums have that knock like hip-hop, or totally smooth it out with a nicly reverbed finger snap, and 808 drop....Keep up the good work, I would like to hear more.

Man that definately is a flash back track to that 90's rnb sound and you should go with that mike jackson feeling. it sounding like you were pulling back in some area's. Go with it cause you sound good. I think this would be sick if you had more hard core hip hop drums along with the layed back 90's feel already in the track. then with your voice on top of that I just think it would be funky! but the track as a whole with the suggestions made by the cats should make for a heck of a track.

Back