quieter snare drum?

erichenryus

I just had my first rehearsal last night using my new 'musashi' oak snare. It sounds incredible and can definitely be heard. The trouble is I'm worried about my ears eventually bleeding and would like to find something a bit more tame for rehearsals (this will see a lot of use in live situations though. Not sure I'll ever need to even mic it)

Prior to this I was using a metal snare on an old crappy Tama kit. That snare was definitely loud but this one is downright painful in a closed space.

Anyone have any suggestions on a high quality quieter snare? I'm not afraid to spend money on a good instrument so that's not really a factor for me. I was thinking of maybe picking up a nice picollo snare for practice. Not a bad thing to have in my arsenal anyway.

Yeah plugs are a good idea, I always forget to put them in until my ears are already ringing <()c=

What about just muting it some, like with a Rem-O, or moongels, that should cut some of the SPL off.

Then again you could buy a whole other snare, but why not just figure out a way to tweak that one to have it both ways?

Well, if you're looking for an excuse to spend more money, I've got an option for ya. I played in a band years ago that had the smallest rehearsal space I've ever seen. Anyway, we had an Alesis DM5 & triggered the snare (we had the foam pad that goes under the drum head, trigger plugged into that). So my snare was triggered and adjustable on the PA. Only problem was finding a setting where my other drums wouldn't accidentally trigger it. You'll lose the ability to play ghost notes and GOOD drum rolls etc., but it was acceptable for rehearsal being a hard rock drummer. Just a thought...

Well, if you're looking for an excuse to spend more money, I've got an option for ya. I played in a band years ago that had the smallest rehearsal space I've ever seen. Anyway, we had an Alesis DM5 & triggered the snare (we had the foam pad that goes under the drum head, trigger plugged into that). So my snare was triggered and adjustable on the PA. Only problem was finding a setting where my other drums wouldn't accidentally trigger it. You'll lose the ability to play ghost notes and GOOD drum rolls etc., but it was acceptable for rehearsal being a hard rock drummer. Just a thought...

drummerbones, i've already got a roland v-custom kit. i used it for a couple practices (before i bought my new acoustic kit) and it was nice cause everyone could turn down a notch.........but it's just not as fun playing electric drums!

by the way, the space we play in now is actually pretty large but it's a basement (lot's of cement) so everything is really loud, especially the snare drum but the drums sound fucking great in the space. just makes everyone have to turn their amps up to eleven. i actually like it that way, just gotta make sure i don't lose my hearing early. i'm off to go buy some ear plugs!

Back