quick!

tylerxxx

i don't know where else to put this.

say i'm going to solder some new patch cables, what kind of coil (i guess thats what you call it) do i need to use? my mother has a bunch of soldering stuff for stained glass making, and the coils she has are like a silver color.. dont know what it is.... and she has some coppery stuff too. which do i use?

what does that mean? and what is the silver stuff? i was just messing around with it and it didn't work =(

If you're that unfamiliar with soldering terms you probably shouldn't be taking on a soldering job.

I can't say why it didn't work --- there are plenty of pitfalls in soldering, but once you have your tools in front of you it's pretty simple.

ssscientist said:
The siver solder you mentioned in your original post.

Your post reads 'and the coils she has are like a silver color'.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

i meant how can i find out what it is? and which 'silver' ish solder is the right kind to use for electronics?

tylerxxx said:
i meant how can i find out what it is? and which 'silver' ish solder is the right kind to use for electronics?

If it's for electronics, the container will have a label that says something like "rosin core solder, 60/40", meaning that it's a combination of tin and lead, and has a non-corrosive additive that helps the solder attach itself to metal.

Like Kid Klash said you need resin cored solder and that's NOT what your mother will have.

How do I know? ...........I used to have my own s/glass studio and I've been messing around with electronics for a long time. Go to somewhere like Radio Shack and get some of the correct solder, DON'T let anyone talk you into buying the "lead free" crap. Oh, and BTW, chances are, you mother's soldering iron has a wide flat tip which isn't any good for electronic work AND it will likely be overpowered. Consider buying an iron, etc., just for making and repairing cables.

I repeat, s/glass gear isn't the same as the electronic gear.

:cool:

Flux....

also make sure and get some FLUX.....use a tiny bit on the point you are soldering....it makes the solder flow and stick better....DON'T USE TOO MUCH BECAUSE THE SOLDER CAN FLOW ONTO OTHER PLACES THAT YOU DON'T WANT IT TO!!.

You can buy it in a small container at any hardware store.

Brian

If he buys resin cored solder he doesn't need flux as that is exactly what the "resin core" in the middle of the solder wire is.....FLUX.

Also, chances are that most flux available from a hardware store will be more for "industrial" applications and most of these fluxes are (semi) corrosive, any flux residue left behind should be thoroughly washed off.

Back