Quick! What should I offer for this?

Nutdotnet

Sorry, not sure where else to ask:

2000 Taylor 414-MACE w/ HardShell Case. 8.5 out of 10 condition. Truss Rod was stripped but repaired.

????

Seller has initial listing @ $995, ebay item.

Thanks for any help, I know this is a difficult question to answer sight-unseen.

My honest thought that with a higher end guitar like a Taylor, if it had ANY damage in its past I would certainly want to play it myself before buying it. Crappy guitars aren't made that much crappier by that kind of damage (if it gets repaired), but on really good guitars it can have a much more pronounced effect.

Honestly....I wouldn't buy it.

That's a good point. I asked him as to how it was repaired. If it was repaired by Taylor themselves then I'm fine with that...any other way...then you're right; wouldn't be worth my time and effort.

Nutdotnet said:
Sorry, not sure where else to ask:

2000 Taylor 414-MACE w/ HardShell Case. 8.5 out of 10 condition. Truss Rod was stripped but repaired.

Why quick? Is the auction just about to close? I wouldn't wade in too early; if you show interest too soon you'll just drive the price up.

No, not about to close, we're in the middle of "haggling" to see if he can just change the auction to a BIN since there are no current bidders.

I say pass on it.

Taylors, while they have many fans and pros who love them, I think are totally overrated. They are all treble and no bass (without a pickup and pre-amp that is).

A trussrod repair of almost any kind is MAJOR. You'll not know exactly what happened without the guitar in hand and unless you're a luthier or luthier-esque. Avoid.

LL

Back