Quick track from 12/30/06

hiwatt357

Here's a track I quickly tracked on 12/30/06. I tried to upload it previously, but lightning was giving me issues.

This was my first experiment with only 3 mics on the drums (D112 for kick, SM57 on snare, and a cheap MXL condenser for overhead). Previously, I used the same kick and snare mics, but had 1 cheapie Audio Technica dynamic each on the toms. As expected, the overheads sound better, but the toms are weak.

Anyway...here it is.

And yeah, I know it needs a bridge and a solo or something...I just wanted to get the idea down.

All critiques, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Tremelo is very effective - you've used it well in this song. I think the overhead sounds good getting some room on the snare and the cymbals are right there. Do the drums sound a bit too loud - maybe a tad...
Good writing - keep working on this and bring it back when you're done with it....

:) :D :) :D

Good sound quality. I like the drumset a lot. Maybe the gtr and bass are combining in a way to make the lower midrange a little too strong.

Snare is too prominent, but it sounds good. You've got a nice growly bass going on. You could pretty much throw a howling vocal over this and it would be done

The overall impression is of a live recording - due to the slightly too loud drums I think.
The bass is good - could use just a tiny bit of definition & EQ carving in relation to the guitar.
Trem is nice - not enough of it around these days - I have difficulty finding the right speed myself.
Good work - FINISH IT.

Nice groove, here. Drums sound nice.
Tremolo really sets the tone, nice addition.
It's lacking though, like vox or a major melody though, I just read RayC's comment above and I agree... FINISH IT :)
Nice sounding mix so far, to these ears ;)

A big thanks to all of you for your input and comments. Work has been so busy that I didn't even notice that I had any sort of replies until late in January. And I've still been really, really busy, so I've just now gotten around to even replying here.

I totally agree that the drums need some more work; however, due to the equipment that I have (or lack thereof), getting the right balance is just going to take me sitting down and moving mics and adjusting levels until it's right. I can't adjust levels after the drums have been tracked, since I dump the input of all 3 mics down to one track. I just haven't had any time to experiment lately. :(

I did notice in experimenting before tracking this that if I took the overhead level down too much (to not have as much of the snare coming through), the overheads didn't come through as much. So, I just tried to get a semi-decent balance as best I could. I could certainly experiment with lowering the overall drum level, though.

As for the bass and guitar tones and such, there's no way for me to carve out or boost eq's during mixdown. It sucks, but that's my primarily complaint about this Boss BR-532 recorder...no eq during mixdown. I just record everything flat and hope for the best.

Again, I appreciate all who took the time to listen and give me input and suggestions. Again, due to work, I'm not sure when I can revisit this again, but hopefully it will be soon.

Back