Quick recording

smuckinfart1

So my buddy and I were jammin and decided to write an acoustic,almost folky,type of song. This is the product of our creativity or maybe just the effects of too much beer. Anyway, in two hours we wrote and recorded this bad boy. Its really rough but I just wanted a few opinions on it. So whether you wanna trash the song or the recording,have at it. Cheers!

keith

http://www.ricewarsthegame.com/keith/newslow(norm).wav

whoa...lol. It's a .wav file. After about 17 MB, I started wondering, lol.

You might wanna' convert it to an mp3 to save some bandwidth (and get some listens).

I will...

buh bye

Sounds really good man, if I may though, it sounds like you need to compress the vox just a little more. Maybe even a little of expansion? Where did you find that singer!?!? He rocks! I'll bet he does really good at Garth covers. :D

Vocals not you?

whoever sang did a bangup job and the song itself was very easy to listen to.
I rather enjoyed that one.
If not you on vocals who?
Whats the story here, who did what??

The singers name is Adam Burrows. Yeah,he is amazing! We both did the guitars and I did what little bass there is. The drums are all ACID loops. We just threw it together when we bored one eveing. Oh yeah Luke,he does really awesome Garth Brooks covers,but you already knew that....

keith

smuckinfart1 said:
Oh yeah Luke,he does really awesome Garth Brooks covers,but you already knew that....

keith

Yeah, I guess I did know that... :D THIEF! STEELING MY SINGER!!!! lol

Dude, you have gotten SOOOOO much better at the recording thing, lmao. I mean, I know it's probably gradual to you, b/c...well, it's you...but SHEEESUS, I really liked this.

Although the first post by fierojoe has the definite smell of an inside joke, lol...he's right about the vocal. Right where the backups come in the first time is where I noticed the lead get a little hot...just unseated itself for a bit, but for most of it, I think the vocal level's perfect. If somebody tells you to turn it down, thank them politely and don't. It's not too loud.

The backups are SWEEEEEEEEET. This may piss you off, but it's really got a J.T. vibe, and if you don't know who I mean by "J.T."...oh screw it, of course you know who I'm talking about, lol. It's the progression and dynamics, I think.

Okay...you need to spend some more time on this I think... Man, I hate doing this b/c I come across so fucking pompous, but I think you need to do a very minor rewrite - mainly 2 things...the weakest 2 vocal lines are the first 2...Lyrically, and vocally, the song starts off MUCH weaker than the rest of it, and it sucks that it happened right at the beginning.

I have these days when I'm not in control,
You have these ways,
[DAMMIT, MAKE THIS RHYME WITH CONTROL,] lmao]....

of seeing right through to my soul
or of making me feel whole
or of lighting me up like bituminous_coal,

dude, ANYTHING...lol. Make it rhyme, and resing those first 2 lines, b/c they're just weaker. And I'm really not nitpicking on this...following "ways" with "anyway" right after it sticks out, especially since the rhyme isn't sticking.

The other one is at 1:30, "you say my eyes always TELL you...... Your vocal crapped out on that word...(low/low/not quite low enough, lol).

Nice job. Okay, I swore off stars, but dammit...lol...this is a perfect exception, following Guernica's guidelines, based upon improvement and the quality of the tune.

I'll let everybody else bitch about the percussion and verb and stuff that I didn't notice, lol.

Chris, you rock man! Thanks for the input on the song. I dont know that Im really gonna do much work with this one but who knows. I agree that some of the lyrics could and should be stronger so maybe I will sit back down and see what kinda magic I can work.

keith

Listening now

So I'm listening to the song for the first time.

The first thing I notice is the singer is very talented. Reminds me a little of the lead singer for Copeland, but better.

Excellent diction, no problem understanding a single word.

I think this singer feels this lyric and is 'convinced' about this lyric, it is sung with conviction.

So it's starting a second time. I hear a fill for violin after the first lyric phrase. I hear cello supporting the lyric after this, and then a fill after 'the ocean is calm'.

More cello after storm, moving in quarter notes to half notes.

fiddlish violin solo with cello filling on the fiddle at the little break just before "I say I'm sorry ... "

Great guitar work guys, very, very tasteful.

Aggressive fiddle fill after 'rivers raging ' ...

sunshine, a beautiful violin fill ...

Now an idee fixee develops as the song goes out, a little violin fill mixed way in the back that loops ...

then violin drops out.

damn that last line is awesome ... so convincing

very nice effort

Starting a third time.

I don't want a bass in this song, I want cello.

'rivers raging' , the same fiddle-violin fill here ... 'sunshine' used as when it occurs later, to develop an instrumental hook to strenghten the lyric hook.

And that bridge, long glorious beautiful violin notes, sweet with lots of vibrato, high ...

'rivers raging' aggressive fiddle fill again ... 'sunshine' the violin melodic hooking fill again ...

no more strings after this.

starting again.

yes, I like the guitar fill way in the background with lots of delay on it.

what's not to like about this tune guys, it's very nice.

The drums might be a tad low in pitch for this tune, just a little. Or maybe they need to be much deeper and a little softer ... the kick I mean.

If you would like a real fiddle-violin part recorded to this, I'll be glad to do that, and then the folks here can listen again. I'll DL the WAV file if you are game, keep it up there. I'll put some cello in also, very little cello though, just enough to put some 'bass bandwidth' in it so the listener gets some bass and isn't left feeling that the song is 'missing something'.

Great work guys, I guess it goes to show us that the spur of the moment creation can be very good as opposed to slaving away in the studio for a month on a tune.

Do this tune live for folks, you will fill their hearts with good energies ...

studioviols@yahoo.com

Re: Listening now

studioviols said:

If you would like a real fiddle-violin part recorded to this, I'll be glad to do that, and then the folks here can listen again. I'll DL the WAV file if you are game, keep it up there. I'll put some cello in also, very little cello though, just enough to put some 'bass bandwidth' in it so the listener gets some bass and isn't left feeling that the song is 'missing something'.

Yes,that would awesome! I've always pictured this song having violin so I'd be honored if you wanna have a go at it. Feel free to experiment with it. Thanks!

keith

sf1,

Jeez... how many singers wanna sound like Jamal Bucket? :D Everybody?? ;)

Nice fingerpicking. Decent vocal harmonies. The main vocal has a touch of crispiness... any high-end boosts, or processing? Could just be the mic.

You've got a good voice. Wait a sec... are you just Jamal with another alias??? :D (ooo but, Jamal can't fingerpick guitar!! :eek: :eek: :D :eek: :cool: )

(ha ha maybe he can... back to you, sf...)

Nice song.

On the gtr track on the left side (at the end...) there's about 1/2 second of shuffling, like someone finishing up a track and reaching for the stop button... which is fine... but IMO the track did a good job up to that point at sounding decently produced.

Chad

Hey participant, Thanks for listing! No,Im not Jamal in disguise. Im just me. So on the song the vocal does have a bit of crispness to it,now that I listen back. I used an ART tube channel preamp and a Rode NT1. I had tracked some vocals on a heavier song earlier in the day and didnt mess with the settings when we recorded this one. Mostly we were just trying to get it down before it got too late. Oh that horrible shuffling!!!! I tried to cut it out in sound fordge and just put some reverb on but I couldnt hide it! Oh well,live and learn.

keith

Back