Quick Reason 3 pitch question

onlydude

Is there any way to have the tempo of a sample stay the same when changing the pitch in reason 3? Thanks :-D

Hmmm interesting question, but to my knowledge that can't be done. What you could do is take the sample and alter it the way you want it in other software like Traktor and then just throw that in Reason 3 and then apply the pitch shift.

I would use Traktor to change the tempo (or pitch too if need be) and then Cubase to chop it up if you need to do that.

onlydude said:
Whats a good software for chopping up sample, changing the tempo, etc?

ACID is a good program for changing the tempo of the track and the pitch staying the same or chaning the pitch and the tempo staying the same. That's what I use to start the basics of my beat then I throw it into to cakewalk to add midi tracks or whatever.

I was recently browsing through the Dub J videos and he mentioned something called "time compression". He takes his 4 bars of his drum pattern, measures it and takes 4 bars of his sample and time compresses it to match the time of his percussion.

Also he mentioned taking the vocals off of a sample in a different video. I didn't think it was possible to do but was wondering if there was a software that could do this, or how he separates the vocals from the beat.

So thats basically what I'm looking for my program to be able to do. (probably should have put that in my first post) But let me know what you think
Thanks
Peace

It's almost impossible to remove the vocals without it affecting the sample itself. What Dub did was that he shifted the right\left channel just a tad (leaving the other channel as it were) to create some sort of cancelation in the waveforms. In some old recordings this can be done, but not all of them, and you're more than likely to cancel out some other shit as well. I don't care what anybody says when it comes to extracting\removing vocals from a track. It can't be done well...and if it can't be done well, don't do it at all.

Time compression\timestretch
What this basically does it that it changes the duration of the sample but not its key.
Say for example you have a sample that goes in the key of G but it's to short to fill out a 4bar measure. Timestretch it and it's all gravey, and it's still in the key of G. Don't overuse it though, cause it will cause some rather nasty sideeffects if you push it to far.

-Nito

Back