Quick question on editing

Heat

I recorded some acoustic guitar tracks for a friend the other day. When I went to begin editing them, I found there was a lot of hiss ( i think from the piezo pickup on his ovation ) i did not catch while recording. The level that got recorded was also low for some reason.

I plan on boosting the track level by running it through an ART Tube MP....my question is this....should i remove the hiss first, and then boost the signal, or should i boost the track, do all other processing on it, and then remove the hiss the very last...BTW i am using a Steinberg denoiser plug-in to remove the hiss....any tips you guys use for this kind of thing would be appreciated.

Heat

Hi Heat

Remove the hiss at the very first ....its easy.
In Cool Edit any version

I hope you recorded a couple of seconds of noise/hiss at the begining of the track, all you do is....select the first bit of noise before the music starts and go to the... Noise Reduction...in there you click Set Noise Level button, so it knows what noise to take out...after that it will pop you back out to the Wav file view....you then unselect the Wav go back into Noise Reduction and select the little meter that says ...Noise Reduction Level... wack the sucker right up and hit OK and it will take all the hiss and noise out from inside the Audio, front, back, middle :)

Tony

Ya, I'd remove the hiss first as stated above but I'd also boost the level in your editor as well.

Back