Quick Question for Bruce!!!

Link

Heya Bruce
I checked out your site today, and I gotta say that I'm pretty impressed with your gear list, but the one thing that got me interested was the subwoofer that you have. Because I've generally found that with studio monitoring, a lot of people (including myself) often put too much bottom end into their recordings, does the subby stop you cranking the bottom into your recordings. Is it worth geting a subby???

Thanks
Link

Hey Link...

Using a sub gives you the opposite effect - if you don't pay attention to your alternate references (or you simply crank the sub!), you can end up with too little bass in your mixes!

When using a sub in conjunction with nearfields for monitoring, the idea is not to exaggerate the bass but to simply extend the bass where your nearfields leave off.

When you first wire the sub in, there's a strong tendency to "want to hear it" - which usually means cranking it! Get it all out of your system then and there, then go back the next day and set it up properly, otherwise you won't be happy with your mixes (except when listening in your control room!!!)

But yeah, once you've set the sub up - you really miss that subtle low-end response when you don't hear it on other systems. I happen to like the combination myself, but it isn't for everyone.....

Bruce

Back