Quick Quantize Question (QQQ)

aslo

Quantize always seems to make things worse. Im sure its something im doing wrong, but
any suggestions appreciated.

I usually select a midi tracks, and experiment with quantize. If the music is relatively fast, i use a 16th or 32nd, i take the percentage to about 40%.
What i usually get is a semi chopped up mess.

I would appreciate any good info on how to improve this process.

Thanks

Speed has nothing to do with the quantize value that you choose. Choose the quantize value according to your note values.

You might get better results if you only quantize parts of the midi event. I don't know what instrument you're working with but if it's drums, try quantizing only the hats and nudging the kick and snare hits into place.

Well, if you are not playing accurately it will move the note in the other direction. First, you must figure out YOUR fastest note. Speed is relative. If the tempo (bpm) is 120 and you are playing 32nd notes, you are probably Rick Wakeman. ;) Most rock stuff doesnt get above 8th notes but that is a huge generalization. I never use 32 note quantize and I have some fast tunes. What matters is the BPM, playing 32 notes when the BPM is 20 will make them amazingly slow. Likewise, quarter notes at 200 will be moving out.

There is no trick to quantize, it lines up notes. You need a certain degree of accuracy or else it will indeed make it a mess. I slow things down if they are hard, it is more accurate than plowing through it and hoping quantize will fix it.

Experiment with quarter notes at a slow tempo. After you learn to quantize them, move onto the fast stuff. Its a great tool and a little more difficult than it seems.

Back