Quick Mixing Question

Echelon

Lights Fish on Fire.
Alrighty, so i've always mixed ITB, but I just got one of the Mackie 8 Bus mixers (32.8) and I want to give it a try. My question is just about the connections. I've got my 828MKII and use an Octopre and Octopre LE W/ ADAT option. So would I take the outputs from the 828 (1-10) and the outputs from the LE (1-8) to channels 1-18 of the mixer, correct? After that I just play tracks 1-18 and use the mixer to mix and such, but do I then take the direct outputs from channels 1-18 back to the inputs on the 828, octopre, and octopre le and record those tracks to Cubase? If that's the case, wouldn't my monitors be playing both the tracks already recorded and the tracks being recorded, not giving me a correct mix? At first i thought I would just mute the original channels, but realized that that would cause the original tracks to not run through the mixer. Also, is there anyway that I could get more that 18 channels at a time, or would I need to buy a second 828? How do you guys that use a DAW, but mix through a mixer do it?

Back