Quick Introduction...

Wonderlick

Good day everyone!

My name's D, and I've been lurking around the forum for awhile, listening to all of the tracks and discussions. I'm relatively new to playing instruments and absolutely new to recording them, but it's becoming a fascinating hobby rather quickly.

I've always listened to music passionately, so it's fun to try slop a tune together and see what it sounds like - crafting, but with sound. I totally suck at all facets, but nonetheless have a strong desire to learn how to put it all together. The entire process has really increased my respect for musicians in general - I feel a twinge of regret in missing out on truly hearing the music that has moved me all these years.

Anyways, I guess there's a ten post rule, so I wanted to get started on that. Much of my advice early on may be shallow, but I'll try to help. Currently my recording equipment consists of the trial version of Reaper, an average acoustic and bass guitar, a practice bass amp, and the extremely high quality Gigaware microphone.

Even with such lame pieces of equipment, though, the advice found here has made my cheesy and moderately offensive songs sound much better. Whether that's a blessing or a curse for all within earshot is yet to be determined. :)

But again, it's a pleasure to make all of your electronic acquaintances, and thank you for all the posts I have devoured up to this point.

D

Hi D and welcome.

Heh! I now see the sarcasm re the mic! Did not get it at first but tis still early here!

AFAICS you do not have an Audio Interface? This should be your next purchase and there are a few points to consider.

Input track count. For a one man band, bedroom jockey two mic inputs is enough (but no less!). If you think you might be involved in recording several people you can get up to 8 mic inputs for reasonable monies but after that it gets very costly.

MIDI: You might no know what it is yet but many AI's have it but sadly quite a number these days do not. Now, it costs peanuts to put MIDI on an AI so those mnfctrs that leave it off are pennypinching ***ts IMHO! Get MIDI.

My reccy for an AI is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and it has the bonus of two extra line inputs.

Microphones: If you can only afford one decent one to start with and since you have an acoustic guitar* I suggest a Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka Condenser) mic (Google AKG P170 as an excellent example but they are legion). A SDC will give clean (noise free) results on acoustic guitar but still have the low frequency response needed for bass (tho' you might be better off "DI'ing" the bass into an AI).

*Had you had an electric G and an amp I would have suggested a Shure SM57( maybe! The SDC is the most versatile of mics IMHO).

Lastly be aware that this recording game is addictive and like all addictions will keep you poor and you will need a VERY understanding partner!

Dave.

Hi D and welcome.

AFAICS you do not have an Audio Interface? This should be your next purchase and there are a few points to consider.

I believe the Gigaware microphone is a USB device so I guess the next purchase needs to be a mic AND interface. It's going to be tough to find an equivalent conventional mic with the same sexy flashing blue light though!

I believe the Gigaware microphone is a USB device so I guess the next purchase needs to be a mic AND interface. It's going to be tough to find an equivalent conventional mic with the same sexy flashing blue light though!

Oh Dear! Even worse than I thought!

Dave.

Hey guys! Yeah, it's bad right now until I find employment - I'm bare bones, no doubt about it. I'm looking at the Focusrite 2i2 in regards to an audio interface, as that seems to have good reviews all the way 'round, and is relatively inexpensive - I don't have drums, I use a software program currently, so voices and guitars are about it. And I'm sure I'll go with Shure in regards to a mic - but I'll ask here/search, but should I go with a condenser or dynamic mic to start?

Again, it's a pleasure to be a part of the forum!

D

Back