Quick eq question

bleonard

Should eq be applied during recording or mix down?

I have read about using eq to partition instruments in discrete sonic spaces - is it best to apply this during mix down.

It seems it would be best to record as accururacte a representation of the source and then modify using eq during mix down.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

The rule that I have always been told is to try and get your tracks down with as little eq and fx as is practically possible. This way you won't end up chasing the sound and will be forced to experiment more with mic placement and instrument sound.

I remember a couple years ago, John Sayers posted a couple mp3's of a piano. One was the piano tracked with a AT 4050, the other was the same exact take on the piano, but mic'ed using a SM-58 (the mic's were pretty much right next to each other..) Everyone was to guess which mic was which. I'll be damned, I got it wrong!!! So did everybody else though.

It turns out that John eq'ed the SM-58 to match the frequency response curve of the 4050. Frankly, the two mics mostly sounded different because of where they were at micing the strings, not because of the actual sound difference (although, the 4050 track did exibit a hair more transients, but that was VERY hard to detect).

Anyway, my point? Just that. John managed to fool even to "good ears" around here by using eq on a mic that I would never get within 100 yards of a piano!!!

EQ if you feel you can achieve a sound to "tape" (HD or whatever...) that you WANT. If you can achieve that sound without using eq, even better!!!

I think the theory is usually "play it safe". If you do some eq while tracking, you might not be able to correct it at mix if you decide you didn't like the eq tweak. So, many suggest that you don't eq while tracking. I say, fuck it!!! Go for it if it helps achieve what you are after.

One common mistake though, and this is a very big warning, is that a lot of people recording at home don't have very good rooms to listen to their music in, and may decide on eq tweaks because of "room problems", not because the audio actually NEEDS any eq. If you are SURE that the eq tweak is benefitting you, go for it. If in doubt, or if you have a known problem with your monitoring situation in your room, maybe avoid doing so. Depends.

I track with eq sometimes. It just depends. No rules. Like chessrock said, do what you feel is right.

If I knew I was doing a type of production where I wouldn't be using much low end stuff on the drum overheads, I wouldn't hesistate to remove it while tracking. On the other hand, I might be hesitant to remove certain freq's on the upper mid's of a vocal while tracking. It just depends.

Ed

Thanks

Thanks for the responses (and warning).

I am concerned about my room (it is octganol 18 feet between all walls) so I do not want to eq too much while recording in case I introduce problems due to the sonic nature of my room.

I guess in order to play it safe I will apply the eq during mix down and validate the results in a number of listening environments (at least I can correct any probs in subsequent mixes)

Thanks for the information.

Brian

bleonard said:
Should eq be applied during recording or mix down?
It is true that it is best to record (depending on the sound your going for) with as little effect as possible.....But Moderate EQ is desireable. KEEP THIS IN MIND: The ideal tracks to mix down are the ones that sound the best and closest to the desired result as they are input as possible. Barring "special effects" such as extreme delay, reverb, hard chorus. But your desired distortion, EQ, and harmonics on the input side will be an advantage.
Joe

"I am concerned about my room (it is octganol 18 feet between all walls) so I do not want to eq too much while recording in case I introduce problems due to the sonic nature of my room." -

I've been studying acoustics off and on for the last 15 years, and I can't imagine how fucked up that room would sound - do you have any acoustic treatments on the walls? I'd think you'd almost have to make an anechoic chamber out of it to get away from the wierd modal responses... Steve

All things being equal (no pun intended) I think in most cases it is better to record dry and add eq and other effects to taste at mix time.

But if you're going for a particular sound, then go ahead and record with eq/effects.

Above, be willing to experiment. The only rule is there are no rules, other than get the best sound you can get.

Room Acoustics

Thanks to all for the feedback.

knightfly - No acoustic treatments at all. I do not have a deep understanding of room acoustics and frankly I was hoping someone would indicate that the octgonal shape was not too bad. The cieling is 25 fett high. I could remove one of the walls (behind me when sitting at the console) - this would add a 15X15 space to my room.

Any recommendations on good links for studying about room acoustics/measuring and corrections?

THanks,
brian

Back