quick copyright question - sharing rights on one song

philpereira

Quick question, and I may already have the answer, so all I need is confirmation or denial. I'm working on a series of songs, all but one were written by me. I have another song that my friend wrote half of. If I were to register my songs, would I submit all the songs I wrote on one form, while sending the co-authored song on another (even though they'll all be on the same "album")? While I'm at it, if I were to join a PRO , would I need to have my friend join seperately as a writer for the sake of that song? I just want to make sure credit is given where it's due, even though I don't expect to get paid for any songs, it's just a hobby.

philpereira said:
Quick question, and I may already have the answer, so all I need is confirmation or denial. I'm working on a series of songs, all but one were written by me. I have another song that my friend wrote half of. If I were to register my songs, would I submit all the songs I wrote on one form, while sending the co-authored song on another (even though they'll all be on the same "album")? While I'm at it, if I were to join a PRO , would I need to have my friend join seperately as a writer for the sake of that song? I just want to make sure credit is given where it's due, even though I don't expect to get paid for any songs, it's just a hobby.

Yes...

All registrations are per author. One form with all of your songs, one form with you and your partner. Those would be form PA.
When you record the album, you would use form SR to register the sound recording and list all who made contributions (recorded) on the album.

Hope this helps!

:)

Back