Quick comment on mix on short song, please.

Oysterman

Hey all,

I dug up a MIDI file of a song from a Super Nintendo game, and mostly for fun I removed the MIDI bass track and added my own, and also added some reverb and EQ to the MIDI backdrop. Now, this is something I just threw together, so it's not the best I can do (or I indeed hope so), but there's one thing in particular which I can't make up my mind on: is the bass too loud or not? No matter how many times I listen to it, I think both "yes" and "no"... I am a bass player, so I like having the bass up front, but I have a sense that it eats too much space for the other instruments. What do you all think?

The song is here. (1,33 MB)

Thanks,
/O

IMO it's not too loud for that type of playing.
And it's VERY nicely played :).
But this type of bass should really have a helluva drummer backing it up. The MIDI drums are really killing the tune at the moment. :(
I hate that snare in the beginning *shudder*.

Keijo

Oh yeah, the drums really need to be reworked. In the original game, that was how they were played, but I know I can do better than that... got myself some nice samples, just need to put some time into it.

Thanks for the compliments on my playing! :) It's a bit sloppy in a few places, and the strings are really dull. But again, it was thrown together in an hour and just for fun.

hey, I liked the playing. I dont think that the bass is too loud at all. It seems at a good level.

someone like sonusman can probably help you better here, but I was wanting to hear some more growl to the bass as well as somemore snap. I dont know what to eq though.

I liked it. What game did it come from.

I had no problems at all with the drums.

CyanJaguar said:
someone like sonusman can probably help you better here, but I was wanting to hear some more growl to the bass as well as somemore snap. I dont know what to eq though.
The reason for the missing growl and snap is probably the strings. They didn't exactly growl to begin with, and after four months in use without cleaning, they have also lost their brightness. For that extra snap, I would need a lighter gauge set of strings than I usually have... I like to change strings as seldom as possible, so I can't bother changing set for a 87 second piece. :)
I liked it. What game did it come from.
Super Castlevania IV, for Super Nintendo. Great game, if you haven't played it. ;)

Back