quick advice request

cat-eggs

i bought a okay mic last night in a drunk ebay session. well i don't have anything with phantom power, so i'm thinking about either the DMP3 or a mackie 1202-VLZ mixer. because it would be nice to have a mixer too. would the quality of pre on one heavily outweigh the other?

to recap, i'm looking at either:

- M-audio DMP3 preamp
- mackie 1202-VLZ mixer

the price differnece isn't an issue

thanks for some opinions,
shawnda tawdry

How important / valuable would it be for you to have a mixer? If this would represent any sort of value or convenience for you to have, then I'd go with the mixer, because there's probably not going to be any huge night & day differences between the mic pres.

thanks for posting...

i guess it would be only 'nice' to have a mixer. but if the consensus says the difference is negligible, i'll get the mixer. so i guess i'm asking if that's what the consensus is. anybody else? is one more magical than the other? anybody?

cat-eggs said:
is one more magical than the other? anybody?

In what sense? And what do you mean by magical?

The Mackie might have a little more head room, and can sometimes handle louder sources a little better. The dmp3, on the other hand, might be a little quieter and flatter / more faithful at very high gain settings ... so it might have a slight edge on very quiet sources.

Other than that, there's probably not a meaningful difference. And if what you're playing is magical ... either one of them should be able to amplify your microphone to line-level adequately enough to translate that magic to your recording medium. These are merely functional mic pres you're looking at; designed to bring a mic to line level (and to provide phatom power for condensers), and either one should do the trick.

cat-eggs said:
i bought a okay mic last night in a drunk ebay session. well i don't have anything with phantom power, so i'm thinking about either the DMP3 or a mackie 1202-VLZ mixer. because it would be nice to have a mixer too. would the quality of pre on one heavily outweigh the other?

to recap, i'm looking at either:

- M-audio DMP3 preamp
- mackie 1202-VLZ mixer

the price differnece isn't an issue

thanks for some opinions,
shawnda tawdry

I'd get a DMP3 and *if* you need a small mixer get a yamaha MG 10/2 - that way you have both for about the same price. I don't think the price dividend for the mackiegear is justified.

i see, i see. i mean magical just in terms of the quality of pres. all MY stuff is magical, my handsome son

paddyponchero: just in terms of sound quality, which do you think sounds better? because like i said, price is no object because i'm a very important business man. (which is not meant to introduce other options, though)

i think i want the mixer because... yeah. plus it has more buttons on it. plus i only got like an hour left to decide

Back