questions on VF160EXCDR

songwritten

Hey everyone,
Just had some questions about the VF160EXCDR. ok..here goes...

1)I'm completly ok with putting out more money to purchase the ADA8000 converter...but my question is...by using this to get more XLR inputs, will the 8 inputs be recorded onto one track or am I able to use the ADA8000 for 8 seperate tracks? I'm going to need 6 XLR inputs to record drums thats why I'm curious. I really need to have drums recorded seperate rather than one or two tracks so I can more mixing options.

2) Would I be able to run 2 Behringer MDX4600 Multicom Pro-XL compressors with the ADA8000? I want to be able to use my own compression instead of any effects the Fostex has to offer. I just need a tiny compression going in...then I will add more on my computer.

3) With Boss recorders, the sound gets colored in the worst way when a signal is being sent through...does the Fostex do this too?

4) Does anyone have any samples of what they have recorded on their VF160?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

songwritten said:
Hey everyone,
Just had some questions about the VF160EXCDR. ok..here goes...

1)I'm completly ok with putting out more money to purchase the ADA8000 converter...but my question is...by using this to get more XLR inputs, will the 8 inputs be recorded onto one track or am I able to use the ADA8000 for 8 seperate tracks? I'm going to need 6 XLR inputs to record drums thats why I'm curious. I really need to have drums recorded seperate rather than one or two tracks so I can more mixing options.

2) Would I be able to run 2 Behringer MDX4600 Multicom Pro-XL compressors with the ADA8000? I want to be able to use my own compression instead of any effects the Fostex has to offer. I just need a tiny compression going in...then I will add more on my computer.

3) With Boss recorders, the sound gets colored in the worst way when a signal is being sent through...does the Fostex do this too?

4) Does anyone have any samples of what they have recorded on their VF160?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

1) The ADA8000 will give you you eight more separate tracks... totaling 16 at once.
2) Put your compressors just after the mics and just before the ADA8000.
3) The VF160 is very transparent. What you put in is what you get out. Check out the Future Music review of the Fostex VM88 digital mixer, which I believe uses the same ADDA convertors. You should not get any sound coloring on the VF160.
4) I don't post samples on line. I have posted samples in the mail. But basically the VF160 will faithfully record what you play.

I record drums on eight tracks by using six dynamic mics and two condenser mics. I run two dynamics through a dbx 266XL compressor with kick and snare on to tracks one and two, four dynamic mics on toms to tracks three thru six and two condenser mics as over heads on tracks seven and eight. Other than the kick and snare, all run right into the VF160.
I then do a 1-8 to 9-16 track transfer to get them out of the way so I can use tracks 1-8 for everything else.
I think it sound pretty damn good. Billisa is right. The VF160 doesn’t color the sound at all. As soon as I work out the discrepancies between my monitor/headphone mixes and car stereo/cheap jambox mixes, I’ll have some stuff online.

Thanks alot guys. I'm glad it doesn't color the sound. Whats the fun in having an altered sound??? Your responses were a great help to me and will definatly my purchases in the near future.

thanks again!

I'd disagree about the quality of the VF160's converters. A few years ago I recorded a session on my friend's Fostex and compared to my G3/MOTU 2408 MK II system I thought that the high end was completely lost in comparison.

For the money, though, it's decent for a project studio... just don't expect pro results.

Cloneboy Studio said:
I'd disagree about the quality of the VF160's converters. A few years ago I recorded a session on my friend's Fostex and compared to my G3/MOTU 2408 MK II system I thought that the high end was completely lost in comparison.

For the money, though, it's decent for a project studio... just don't expect pro results.

The convertors on the VF160 are Toshiba AK77's, with 32bit internal processing. I think the results, pro or otherwise, have more to do with the performers, not the convertors.

Hi.
You can hear the latest song i have finished that was recorded using the fostex vf16ex.
http://corrientesmusic.com/EVT_recordings.html

and I also have some other songs recorded with the fostex here too.
http://corrientesmusic.com/Planet_Demo.html

I have been trying to read up about the converters in the fostex vf16ex. I want to buy a kurzweil rumour to use as an external effects unit for reverb. And, from what I've read the rumour has pretty nice converters in it as well. But, I still don't fully understand how they would be implemented with a multitrack recorder, and if they could be used simultaneously as converters while being used as an external effects unit for reverb.
I don't like the internal effects on the vf16ex. That's why I want the rumour, but I figured... hey maybe it can help in both areas.
evt

Back