Questions from a Young Whippersnapper

dishwasherrat

What are some of the practical differences (pros, cons, etc) between a 4-track recorder versus a line-in/line-out mixer (no tapes or discs go into it).

Please ask me for any clarifications. I'm eager to learn.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing some of your experiences in analog and digital.

Cheers,
dw.

If I read this right, these are two completely different pieces of equipment. What would you be doing with them?

4-Track recorder is just that, can function as a 4 channel mixer in some models (been forever since I've touched one) with volume, gain control, high, mid and low functions, sometimes a "trim" feature. Plus being able to record, etc.

Line mixers are usually just several inputs and one output with only a volume control, usually used for live sound applications from what I've seen, though I can't give you an scenarios when and why they are used.

What's the difference between a tennis racket and a rocket ship?

I recommmend you go to your local bookstore and pick up a book or two on home recording/audio engineering. It will help you get the basics and terminology down.

Good luck!

Pretty vague but 4 track recorder will usually allow you to record at least 2 things at once and play back 4. A recorder can usually be used as a mixer but a mixer cannot be used as a recorder. If you record through a mixer it is usually (these days) directly into the PC and hence all tracks are recorded onto 1 track on the PC so there is limited mixing opportunity. 4 track recorder will allow you to record 4 separate tracks and mix them as you like (off the pc or on the PC).

Mixer is usually cheaper. Recorder usually has other stuff like a drum machine, guitar effects etc.

I own a portable/handheld Zoom PS04 4 track recorder but send all the files to the PC for mixing.

Tony

HomeMadeHitShow said:
Pretty vague but 4 track recorder will usually allow you to record at least 2 things at once and play back 4. A recorder can usually be used as a mixer but a mixer cannot be used as a recorder. If you record through a mixer it is usually (these days) directly into the PC and hence all tracks are recorded onto 1 track on the PC so there is limited mixing opportunity. 4 track recorder will allow you to record 4 separate tracks and mix them as you like (off the pc or on the PC).

Mixer is usually cheaper. Recorder usually has other stuff like a drum machine, guitar effects etc.

I own a portable/handheld Zoom PS04 4 track recorder but send all the files to the PC for mixing.

Tony

That isn't exactly true, I use a board to record to my PC with and I can squeeze 6, maybe 7 isolated tracks out of my board using Channel Inserts and the FX and Mon outs. I only use the FX and Mon outs as I rarely have a need for more than 2 things at a time, but I still get two seperate tracks this way.

EDIT - Mixing board, not line mixer.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I understand for sure now. Thank you, too, tennis racket/rocket ship guy.

I like the idea of being able to work with multiple tracks as with the 4-track recorder, but what sort of equipment is used to record via computer with more than one track at a time. I.e., are there mixers on the market that when connected to the computer you can see the separate tracks in progress and not as one?

Is that what the Zoom PS04 does?

Depending on the funding, you can find boards with more outputs than you know what to do with. When I was purchasing my setup, I figured out what my needs were (mostly) and went from there. I'm a guitar/bass kinda guy the ability to hit 2 tracks at the same time was as far as I needed to go at that time. I picked up a Behringer 1222FX-Pro and an M-Audio Delta 410 PCI card. This setup allows me to use the FX out and Mon. out at the same time to record into my PC. It also allows me to playback 8 tracks back through my mixer. Which is perfect for what I use it for. Some would say that using a board for computer recording isn't needed, and in most cases they are probably right. I could have gotten the same recordings with a mic going through pre-amps directly to the soundcard, then mixed it all within Cakewalk. It's a preference thing though. Check out some of the Computer based sound interfaces, and some of the software, you can get very decent gear for very decent prices these days.

Back