Questions for Firepod Users

noncon

Not sure if I'm thinking about this correctly, any input appreciated on these questions. Would the motu 828 mkII handle this situation better b/c of the routing software it comes with?

1. I have a 2 channel compressor, it is my understanding that through the software I can route any recorded channel to any of the eight outputs. My question is specifically in regard to effects in post production, for instance I could send two recorded channels to two different outputs into the compressor and bring them back in via the line inputs on the front of the unit? Are the line inputs on the front of the unit balanced as are the outputs?

2. My compressor can be linked so it operates in stereo. Is there a way to send a stereo mix out of two outputs (after mixing a track down to one .wav file for instance) into the compressor and bring it back in stereo in order to somewhat "master" the track? If not could this be accomplished by taking the main L and R monitor outs into the compressor and recording it back into the firepod? Is there a way to record in stereo onto one track (like stereo inputs on a mixer)?

3. I'm also assuming that if the line inputs on the front are balanced I can add higher end preamps later on in time and the firepod preamps would be bypassed? How are the preamps on the unit? Would hooking up a DMP3 be a step up, or would I have to go to something like a RNP or better? The general consensus I've seen on the board seems to say save up for a pre in the $600 and up range.

I know these are long and involved questions but I'm trying to cover all my bases before spending the cash. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!
-Eric

Hey. I have a firepod and I'll help you out as much as I can. The pres sound decent but not as good as the aardvark Q10 I sold to get it. I assumed this and took the lower quality pres for the firewire capabilities. They aren't bad sounding, just not as good as the aardvark. And the groove tubes brick I just bought kills the firepod. So what's good about it? For drums, I think it works really well... if you mess around with some settings, I'd say you can get some good sounds. For your compressor question, on channels one and two, you not only have line ins on the front, you have line ins on the back and line outs... not to mention outputs for all the preamps. All channels have a line in and an output, but the first two channels will work especially well for a stereo compressor. So you should have no problem attaching your compressor, or upgrading preamps whenever you want. Overall I am really happy with the firepod... if it wasn't for the pci card I'd keep the aardvark, but it's not too much of a downgrade. I recommend it. :P I talked guitar center down to $540 so you could do it too I'm sure.

Hope I helped.

Regarding the firepod...how would the pres compare with other lower end pres like the DMP3?

Could you plug the output from an outboard pre into the firepod? I guess you could just use the line ins?

The idea of replacing all my pres and VF160 with a laptop and firepod is appealing...

tv

TV,

From what I understand, yes you can plug the pres directly into the Firepod through the line ins. Inputs 1 and 2 are described as mic and instrument, 3-8 as mic or line level. I'm not sure how many simultaneous inputs you need (my friend has a protools system for our bands, I'm looking into the firepod for my own personal use and small band demos), but the Motu 828 mkII or Traveler and a laptop would certainly cover you if you need a lot of inputs. One thing to consider - the firepod can only be expanded right now by chaining another firepod. Unlike the Motu or other similar units it does not have ADAT. On the pro side, it has a bunch of preamps and is a bit cheaper.

I would look to get a discount like Strave to at least that price, or check ebay for someone selling one used. Paying $600 outright if you already have pres seems like a lot and www.bswusa.com is selling the Motu for $700. I like the Firepod b/c I don't have any pres so I can get started pretty well equipped with it. That said, any thoughts from anyone on how Motu pres compare to Firepod?
-Eric

Back