questions for anyone who has done the PVC monitor stands...

amonte

I had a bit of luck this week and my brother agreed to loan me is Alesis M1 MK2 Monitors since he hasn't been using them. The only problem is, my desk is way to cluttered (and small) to put the monitors on the desk surface, so I started looking into stands. I did some searching on this site and came across a lot of great posts about the PVC monitor stands. I took a trip to Lowe's and found a lot of the materials, but I had some questions:

1) what is the correct width to use? I was thinking either the three or four inch. The four inch seems wide, but the first 3 inch piping I saw was pretty flimsy. I did find some black 3 inch PVC that seemed to be much sturdier - is this the right stuff to use?

2) for the toilet flanges, I found two different versions (actually, I found a lot, but I'm guessing it was one of these two) - they were both solid pieces of plastic, each shaped exactly the same. The only difference was that one had an opening at the bottom of the flange (so that if you connected the PVC to the flange, you could still see "down" the flange), and the other was capped at the bottom. I'm guessing capped is the way to go here, correct?

3) I am also assuming that the PVC glue is only used to attach the flange to the PVC. How are you guys attaching the flange/PVC to the bases? Are you using wood screws into the base? Or perhaps bolts through the bottom and nuts to attach them at the top?

Any help you can offer is appreciated. Thanks!

Back