Questions and problems

Valgrim

After electrocuting myself twice I figured I would maybe ask for some help...

I am setting up a hard disk recording scheme and was trying to test out my new crappy mixer and speakers. I currently am running it to a SB awe64 and the mixer is a cheap 4 channel jobbie with no pre-amp. I plan on upgrading the card soon but I wanted to test out how things are with what I have.

I first miced my amp (cheap mic, another thing I need to replace) and ran it into the mixers left/1st input. I ran a 1/4 to 1/8 cable to my SB input from the left output of the mixer. I got nothing. I then got the bright idea of trying to run a cord from the amps output into the mixer input. That's when the electrocution began. I then went direct into the mixer with my guitar. When I tried to play through the mixer I got absolutely no response from the level meter, yet I could hear(faintly)the guitar from the speakers. As a final test I just went from guitar to the lousy mic input on the SB. This worked great as far as volume went but that is not obviously a serious option :)

I'm thinking that maybe I needed to get a y cable to go from the left/right out on the mixer to the single input of the SB, instead of the left to input like I was doing. Or maybe I simply don't have enough power going into the input seeing as how the mixer doesn't have a preamp nor do I have a mic preamp. One last thing. Is it possible to go from the output of the amp into the in on the SB? That is what got me electrocuted so I figured I'd ask before I try it again.

As you can tell I have no idea what I'm doing, any help would be appreciated.

Valgrim

Nothing like a good electrocution to make you sit back and go "Hmmmm.....wonder if I'm doing it right?"

I'm assuming that the amp output is just that - an amplified signal output. If it is, the answer is NO, don't go and plug it into the SBLive. The amp out level is way ,way higher than normal line level (>15V amp vs. 1-2V line level), so you'll end up frying something (hopefully not yourself).

With any luck you haven't toasted the mixer - I've no idea what kind of protection they have on them against large signal levels.

You shouldn't need a Y cable - pan the signal left, and just usethe left channel into the SBLive (a guitar is only mono anyway).

One other option is that some of the cheapy mixers are designed only for mics, or are designed for everything but mics. As such, you may have mismatched input impedences (off the top of my head, a basic dynamic mic is about 600ohm inout impedance, whereas a guitar is a high impedance device (>10Kohm). This will certainly affect the levels coming out the mixer.

- gaffa

Thanks for the feedback. I just recently (today) learned what 'line level' is. :) I took the mixer back today and used the money to buy a book on home recording basics. Probably a better investment at this point. I think I'll skip the mic preamps and just get a decent mixer with preamps built in. Do you lose any quality without the mic preamp? Also a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive mixer would be helpful. 100-300 $ range.

Thanks again,

Valgrim

Good call getting the book. Once you've read it, you'll almost definately know more about recording than I do :)

About mixers, it's a pretty broad topic - it all depends what you want to do with it. Lot of people here have Mackie desks, particulary the VLZ1202, others are using Allen & Heath etc. Basically, if it's you're first 'real' desk, I'd probably get a second hand Mackie, although for $300, you'd come close to getting a new one.

Personally, I've got an old Studiomaster, which is a british desk - its quite reasonable for my needs (basic recording and a spot of live work).

Do you lose quality without a mic preamp? - I'm not sure, I don't own a mic preamp (apart from those in the mixer). I think it's probably more a case of improving the sound rather than losing anything with a mic preamp ;)

- gaffa

James,

I had my board dated by an antiques dealer, and he reckons about 5th century BC, based on the greek transcriptions on the back..... ;)

Actually, I'm not sure - bought it second hand (my very first mixer), and the guy I bought it off said he'd had it for a few years. I guess it would be at least ten years old (the front panel style seems to support that), but that's mere supposition.

The studiomaster site seems to conveniently igonre my desk, although it does mention it is sentences like "based on the classic Diamond series of consoles..."

Hell, if somebody out there can tell me, I'd love to know

Don't know much else about studiomaster desks.

- gaffa

Back