questions about whats's better

Deepdwella

I have 2 krk rokit 8's and a 10" sub krk. running with project mix and a mini mac quad 8 gig ram. I'm looking into getting the krk ergo or the arc systems 2. I am wondering whats the better product to go with ?

Do you already have plenty of high quality bass traps? If not, bass traps will improve your monitoring far better than any room EQ product. More here:

Audyssey Report

As you'll read, rooms have three main problems at low frequencies: Peaks, nulls, and ringing. Room EQ can only help peaks, and even then it's not a complete solution. BTW, the Audyssey system in this article is the same technology as ARC uses.

--Ethan

Thanks I'll look in to that !, for right now i recently moved to into a new house so the only thing i have up right now is cardboard, covered with some black material with some heavy blankets over the window and covering the closet. Doing this has helped a lot vs what sound I had before. Recently I purchase a 10 sub krk... now things are sounding even better but now I'm like what else can i do that's within my budget range to achieve better mixes. I took courses for audio engineering so i have some basic skills for understanding mixing and been practicing at it for a while. I know the environment for the studio plays a huge part on how your mixes will sound. I'm not sure how much it will cost to professionally achieve everything I want to do but i figure i take one thing at a time. My next mission is to get speaker stands for the krk 8 so I can position the speaker's more precise. Keep in mind I'm married and everything I spend money on equipment a lighting bolt goes straight up my ass with questions from my wife... lol... I got grilled for that krk 10 sub, lol. But slowly I'd like to put something together to achieved better mixes. My thoughts are it's about 233.00 for arc sys 2 and 499.00 for the ergo krk. Either one of those I could purchase along with speaker stands. I know that either product wont totally solve all of my issues but its a start to building my studio in my new environment .. . So has anyone purchased either productt ? If so let know what your thoughts are on what ya got. But thanks for the link on the Audyssey Report. Def will look into that.

I'm with Ethan, that money is better spent on basstraps than room EQ. Also, if you make your own traps (plenty of info around) you can tell your wife how much money you are saving. Give her the price of a room full of Auralex and the cost of making your own will look really cheap!

I agree with room treatment before anything else. You can have the best speakers in the world, it almost won't matter in an un-treated room. Conversely, you can have average speakers in a treated room and get a more honest representation of what you're trying to record and mix.

I agree with room treatment before anything else. You can have the best speakers in the world, it almost won't matter in an un-treated room. Conversely, you can have average speakers in a treated room and get a more honest representation of what you're trying to record and mix.
unless you have Jimmy's PC great room, great monitors prehistoric PC terrible mixes no matter what. Mmm say a prayer for that guy.

I really appreciate your guys feed back. So now my next questions is what would be the best way to obtain the bass traps. Would it be easier to purchased or to build ? So much infomation out there not sure what route to take.

I really appreciate your guys feed back. So now my next questions is what would be the best way to obtain the bass traps. Would it be easier to purchased or to build ? So much infomation out there not sure what route to take.
You can do either, depending on your budget. There are a few people on this site that sell them, one has posted in this thread, with great reputations and you know you'll be getting top quality produtcs from them.

If you choose to build your own, there is a lot of info on how. Even with minimum DIY skills, you can make good traps. I made about 16 of my own traps for about $300 total (the most expensive thing is the fabric to wrap them in), and I think the last time I picked up a hammer, it was plastic and I was in kindergartten. :eek:

Here's a good, simple video on how to build your own:
How to build a bass trap or an acoustic panel - by Nenne Effe - YouTube

Here is a whole page on how to build your own:
bass traps - YouTube

Would it be easier to purchased or to build ?

RAMI gave you a great reply. It's definitely easier to buy finished products, but it's less expensive to make your own. The advantage of buying is you get expert advice about what to get and where to put it. For some people that's worth the added cost. But someone with limited funds will get more value with DIY, though you have to do your own research.

--Ethan

Thanks again guys, The owen-corning acoustic insulation doesnt seem to be something I can pick up at a local hardware store. I called home depot and the closes they can come to owen corning is 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Sound Choice Sound Deadening Board for 10.95 a sheet, do you guys think that would work too ? I do see you can order owen corning online worst comes to worst

Thanks again guys, The owen-corning acoustic insulation doesnt seem to be something I can pick up at a local hardware store. I called home depot and the closes they can come to owen corning is 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Sound Choice Sound Deadening Board for 10.95 a sheet, do you guys think that would work too ? I do see you can order owen corning online worst comes to worst

Not at Home depot or any of the big boxes. But you should be able to find a builder's supply store. Search for an SPI near you. They almost always have it and they know if you're coming to buy 15 panels, that you'll be using it for bass traps.

In fact, here's a LINK

Service Center Directory for Specialty Products & Insulation Co.

Also, consider getting the Johns-Manville product that is similar to OC703. It doesnt crumble like OC703 does and is easier to work with. Having the same density, it performs the same.

Look into Roxul. I think it's more accessible. Their "Safe and Sound" is about R24 (I think). I think they also have something called "Comfort Batts" which I think are good.

Back