questions about using a mixing board?

WPBEATS

ok a buddy of mine has a Yamaha MG32/14FX 32-Input 14 Bus Mixer with DSP Effects. We make alot of our music and beats out of reason 3.0 and cubase sx3. Is there a way we can use each channel on our board to control the snare the kick the hi hats bass guitar synth ( from reason 3.0) and vocals and mix them all down on the board . Ima newbie to all of this so please take it easy lolol
we are using cubase sx3 to record all of the vocals

You need as many channels of D/A conversion as you want tracks to mix on the analog mixer. Then you just assign each of those tracks in the DAW to the different D/A channels, and connect each D/A output to the line ins on the mixer channels.

WPBEATS said:
ok a buddy of mine has a Yamaha MG32/14FX 32-Input 14 Bus Mixer with DSP Effects. We make alot of our music and beats out of reason 3.0 and cubase sx3. Is there a way we can use each channel on our board to control the snare the kick the hi hats bass guitar synth ( from reason 3.0) and vocals and mix them all down on the board . Ima newbie to all of this so please take it easy lolol
we are using cubase sx3 to record all of the vocals
Yeah, if you want to use that mixer as an analog mixer, go with what RobD said. Also keep in mind with that that you'll also need to record the mix down to something that way. if you wanted to record it right back to the computer, you'd need another couple of channels af A/D conversion to send the stereo mix back in.

If you are asking, though, if you can use that Yammie to actully control your mix in Cubase, then the answer would be, no, it won't do that. For that you'd need what's called a DAW Controller. A DAW Controller looks just like a mixer, but basically it's just a box containing physical controls that connect to your computer (usually) via MIDI and is used instead of the mouse and keyboard to control the major mixing functions of your Cubase software.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Yeah, if you want to use that mixer as an analog mixer, go with what RobD said. Also keep in mind with that that you'll also need to record the mix down to something that way. if you wanted to record it right back to the computer, you'd need another couple of channels af A/D conversion to send the stereo mix back in.

im lost :(

WPBEATS said:
SouthSIDE Glen said:

im lost :(
Which part?
The difference between controlling the tracks in the DAW vs mixing analog on the board or how to capture the results (of the analog output of the board)?

Bypass the mixer altogether.

Rewire Reason into Cubase and send each sound to a separate channel in Cubase.

The only reason (I can think of) you should send your mix out of the PC (in this instance) is if you're attempting to gain a desired sound or effect through the mixer itself.

mixsit said:
Which part?
mixing analog on the board or how to capture the results (of the analog output of the board)?

im sorry about all these questions i just know its possible to control all my drums n synth etc. on my board.and im clueless on how to do this..

Ok, here's the concept. The tracks in the computer are virtual. The channels on the mixing board are real. If you have a computer soundcard that has a stereo input and a stereo output, you can only send 2 virtual tracks from the computer to 2 real channels on the mixer. If you want to send more channels of audio out to the mixer, you need more channels of digital to analog conversion (D/A). The number of channels of D/A is directly proportional to the number of tracks you can send out to individule channels on the mixer.

Back