Questions about this Acousticon Remo Drumset

RCAGuy05

I don't have any pics. But I saw it at a local thrift store. Its a regular 5 piece, looks like its from the 80's or early 90's, its black with a white stripe circling the middle of each drum, the outside says "Quadura", and the inside shell of one of the toms says "Acousticon SE". Well on another drum board someone mentioned Acousticon to be an amazing wood/composite that had a tone like that between maple and birch, so this is exciting. But then I hear really horrible things about older Remo kits, that they're dead and nonresonant and that only the "advanced acousticon of the latest models are worth getting.
Its going for a pretty good price as well. Anybody shed some light on this.

Well how much is a good deal? cause i got my set in my sig fo 150.00 at my local Guitar Center during one of there weekend blow outs. so if its cheap enough i would say get it.

Acousticon is Remo's own development.
You know those cardboard tubes that carpet comes rolled on?

That's sort of like Acousticon.

It's a wood/paper fiber that is impregnated/impenetrated with some kind of resin, and it's rolled into a tube.

Some people had problems with the very first Remo drums. But that was 20 something years ago.

They do sound kind of dead when they are tuned low or as low as they'll go, but that may not be a bad thing if you intend to close mic them.
It's all a matter of perception. I like one kind of drumsound, but you might not like what I like.

And you can make them sound more lively by tightening the resonant (bottom) head.

Drummers spend tons of money trying to increase resonance on their toms (Gauger R.I.M.S.), and Soundmen spend tons of money trying to kill it (i.e., Noise Gates) :D

I have a friend who has a set of Remo drums, and they sound like crap, but it's not the drums, it's just the way he tunes them. I've heard them sound great.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim Brown said:
Acousticon is Remo's own development.
You know those cardboard tubes that carpet comes rolled on?

That's sort of like Acousticon.

It's a wood/paper fiber that is impregnated/impenetrated with some kind of resin, and it's rolled into a tube.

Some people had problems with the very first Remo drums. But that was 20 something years ago.

They do sound kind of dead when they are tuned low or as low as they'll go, but that may not be a bad thing if you intend to close mic them.
It's all a matter of perception. I like one kind of drumsound, but you might not like what I like.

And you can make them sound more lively by tightening the resonant (bottom) head.

Drummers spend tons of money trying to increase resonance on their toms (Gauger R.I.M.S.), and Soundmen spend tons of money trying to kill it (i.e., Noise Gates) :D

I have a friend who has a set of Remo drums, and they sound like carp, but it's not the drums, it's just the way he tunes them. I've heard them sound great.

Tim

i agree with everything you said, tunning has a HUGE part in how they sound.

Can I get a ballpark estimate of the equivalent drumset that this Remo Acousticon SE would be on par with. Brand or wood type? Maple-ish sound, are they capable of a maple-ish sound. Yes I've heard and experienced the whole tuning thing many times. msblaze would you say that your pacific just blows away your Remo or is it simply "different". I just want to know that this kit will be loud enough to project in a very musical way acoustically even if performing unmiced or with just the kick miced.(I will probably be micing it but I like to have the option)Good bass repsponse? Good mid and high range attack? And would you say that an Acousticon SE is a whole different animal from the Remo drumset you have.

Back