questions about hiring musicians

weatherbill

I'm in Nashville and this is definitely not a place to build a band, but there are lots of hired guns out there.
DOes anyone have any advice for me about hired guns, pitfalls and hurdles to avoid????

I'm not sure how it works there but first check the Union price.
How much it costs per hour and any different item that might cost like rehearsel time Versus recording time or if a musician has to play a different instrument other then his original like...he plays guitar but then you request banjo for another track etc...
You can get a booklet or some info from the union. That would give you a general picture.

If you have a player you want specificly then call him and ask his prices and compare to other musicians you call. Some will give a discount on Union prices.

Finding the right session player for you is not as easy as it sounds. You should first focus on style. Don't get a H. Metal guitarist to play German folk songs...
The best way is recommendations but beware ! every studio recommends there players..(friends family, etc....)
You'll have to ask people who have worked with various players as you get all kinds. Say you get 6 names of drummers but they differ on some issues even though they all play great.
You can get the:
* Guy who is not very cooperative and not patient
* Guy who can play like a machine but isnt really creative
* Guy who doesnt read notes
* Guy who plays great but needs time to understand your needs
* Guy Who Rocks but isnt to controled or is controlled but rocks less.......
* The guy who never comes on time

Choose the player you feel fits your music and even more important your personality.

You should come prepared with notes or a lead sheet or at least something written to save time. Make sure you know what you want BUT !!! let him work. Tell him your basic idea but let him play.
He knows what he is doing so give him the freedom to play and you'll be surprised at the results.

Tell him what gear the studio has for him so he doesnt show up without cymbals only to find out the studio doesnt own cymbals as well...Tell him you need acoustics...12 string...dont expect him to guess...(although they tend to own it all and have it in the car...)

Space the time you'll need for each musician so your not waiting for him but paying the studio $$$ or that he has to wait and your paying him $$$ for waiting around.

Bring a recording of the type of sound you want don't try to explain to him " uhh I need the sound of a train passing in the wind with pretzels on the tracks along a chiming bell in a bathroom...." If you cant explain then bring a recording.

Close all payment issues before.

What he said.

A little extra story, from friends of mine who finally got their big break:

They got a list of session guys available, and one of their lifelong heroes was on the list. I won't sully his name here, but the guy's a legend. So they got him...

...and he phoned it in. He did take one hot solo, that the producer decided was too hot (too bad - cool little country swing tune) and snipped it out, but otherwise he just played a bunch of stock crap, and acted like he'd rather be anywhere else.

You don't really, say if you are asking about session guys or hired guns for gigging. I do agree with what Shailat said.

I can add that it is common to hire a "contractor" or a musical director". This is a musician that will be working on your project (recording session, tour, etc.) and he (or she) in turn hires the other musicians. It's even fairly common for a producer to use a contractor that they trust.

The advantage is the director knows who is free to do the gig, who is dependable and who plays what styles well. The key is to find a player that you get along with and who you respect musically.

You need to determine what your budget is (this will dictate who you can afford). Some players are paid only for the gig/session, some get paid for rehearsal time in addition to the gig/session and some get paid a retainer salary to be on hand when you need them.

Obviously, the people on retainer have to give more loyalty. The guys who get paid by the gig/session may take something else (maybe even on short notice) - then they aren't there when you need them.

I have freelanced for years and I would never take an offer if I have already committed to a project (which on occasion has cost me hundreds of dollars) - but some guys will take a better offer even if they screw someone in the process - so be aware!

Certainly union scale is a place to start, but good players can get double or triple scale (not to mention double scale for playing guitar vs. banjo, etc.) However, in a dog eat dog town like Nashville there must be tons of players willing to hustle gigs on the side for less than scale.

I lived in Nashville for two years ... My advice would be to make the musicians you are thinking of hiring;

Take a psycological test

Some of the pickers have been there for so long they don't remember what it was like to not be there.. The are very different people....

Back