Question regarding copyright/movie samples

laj35

Hey Fellas,

I know very, very little about copyright infringement, but have somehow come to believe that no such laws apply if you are playing the music to a live audience, is this the case? I ask only because we are soon to be goin out gigging and alot of our tunes have quirky vocal samples from movies that are quite popular and hence are easily recognizable samples (ie Bill & Ted's... "Strange things are afoot at the circle K," Space Odyssey 2001 "I can feel it" "My mind is going," The Manchurian Canidate "Decent into the unconcious mind," etc, etc.). Could some one possible clear this up for me, I know gec is hiding round here somewhere if nobody else can answer this one.

laj35

Three words "ASCAP", "BMI", "SECAC".

This is one time that that you can not ask for forgiveness after the fact.

usually the bar,club, etc. will already have the copyright issue covered....check with them ahead when you are booking the gig......

check out http://www.negativland.com/intprop.html
This site is very comprehensive. It helps you understand what you can and can't do, or how you can do it. It gives case studies. And it advocates for allowing "fair use" to include what you are doing - using fragments of copyrighted material within a new work of art.
Negativland was a band that was sued by Island records for, among other things, using samples of U2 music. They've got an interview with Edge up on this site which makes for some interesting reading.

Vvvery nice boys, manny thanks.

Gidge, I'll check with the venue. It's a bit daunting trying to prioritize the many loose ends I need to tie before I'm really ready to go out there. It's pretty damn exciting to be getting a chance, and yes I'm aware of how cheesy that just sounded.

Fprod South, thanks for the link, I just briefly checked it out and am gonna get to that shortly. Many thanks again.

laj35

Back