question re: POS card

camn

ok... so I have a piece of crap soundcard in my comp.. next to my good card. (well.. a couple slots away...;))

Anyway.. it is a phillips SBLiVE COPY.. and has a SPIDIF OUT.. it says it is for 5.1 output to a dolby reciever.

My Question is... can I somehow utilize this SPIDIF out put to send a STEREO signal to my digital Mixer's SPIDIF in?

hmmm.

xoxo

SPDIF is a stereo format so yes, you should be able to plug and play as they say. The bit depth and sample rate should be the same between the two for best results.

Wait, did you say SPIDIF? I never heard of that. SPDIF is sony-phillips digital interface. Sometimes people say "spidif" but the acronym is SPDIF. I don't know if it might be a proprietary format on that soundcard but most soundblasters come withe the common 16 bit 44.1khz SPDIF.

well.. technically.. it's "S/PDIF"... as in Sony/Philips... but that stoopid slash is so hard to type.. so I just type what I say. And incidentally...it is a Philips card... maybe it IS a proprietary format!! ;)

Anyway... I hear you saying that "SPDIF is a stereo format" but god told me he sends 5.1 on it... so I don't know if I believe you.... I think maybe you can send ANY digital signal on it.. it being just metal, that is ;).. and people nowadays send a dolby message..

But I dont know ! ? Thats why I wonder.

Anyway.. being one step up from Moronic.. I TRIED to just "plug and play".. by hooking it to me mixer.. but I got nuthin.

so... tell me it's 100% possible.. and I'll try some more... but if a card that sends 5.1 can't send stereo.. tell me now, so I dont think about it anymore!

xoox

Back