Question Re: My new Focusrite pre/compressor

WATYF

...happier than you.
OK.. I just picked up a Focusrite Platinum Penta mic pre/compressor, and I have a question.

This is a pretty straight forward setup, so I'm at a loss for why this is happening... it's prolly something obvious that will make me look like a complete retard... but oh well. :p

I plug the mic (MC012) into the Penta and turn on phantom power... I take the left (mono) out from the Penta and run it into the input on my digi001.

I start trying to get a level... but the meters on the Penta are barely moving... they don't even register unless I tap on the mic. So I turn the gain up real high... They still don't move much at all. But when I listen to the track in Pro Tools, it's nice and loud... in fact... it was feeding-back when I first record-enabled the track because I had the gain on the pre up so high... so I lower the gain on the Penta until the levels in PT are fine.

so my question is... How come I am getting plenty of level into PT, and it's nice and loud and sounds just fine, but the LED levels on the Penta itself barely move at all? (the first LED will light up sometimes if I strum real hard. :p) And the only way to get the levels to move even a decent amount is to turn the gain up so high that it totally peaks in PT!

what's up with that? :confused:

WATYF

It could be you're coming out of the pre at a +4 level into a -10 input on the 001. That could account for what you describe.

WATYF (Oh Creator of the great mic pre thread)

The meter or lights at the input stage are indicating the incoming signal from the mic and not the post gain signal going out the penta. Thus if your mic is not that hot signal wise then the meter will show a low signal but the penta gain stage, post compressor is making up for it.

The output lights are the ones you should be watching. These are an indication of whats going into your sound card.

If you put a tube mic or a C1 in the penta you will see a hotter incoming signal on the input lights.

I'm curious as to thoughts on the sound of their Class A pre?

Middle... oh reader of the great thread... and loyal subject... :p

I was talking aboot all the levels. (input and output) :p

It appears that Track Rat is today's winner of the "answer the stupid guy's question" contest. :p

I was under the assumption (you know what happens when you assume :p) that the 1/4" inputs on the digi001 were +4dBu balanced. But I have found out by digging a little that only the XLR-1/4" inputs (1 and 2) on the 001 are +4dBu... the 1/4" inputs (3-8) are unbalanced and -10dBu's. (which kinda sucks...) but hey... at least I know what's goin' on now. :p

Fortunately, the Penta has a switch on each output to toggle between +4 and -10, so this won't even be a problem. :p

Thanks Track.

WATYF

I'm gonna try to do some work with it this weekend and post it in the clinic. I only messed with it for a few minutes.. barely at all... so I can't really give any real feedback, but my initial impressions are good.

WATYF

When you refer to yourself as a "retard" please use the words "developmentaly disabled" so as to not insult anyone that actually can use that as an excuse.:D

WATYF said:
But I have found out by digging a little that only the XLR-1/4" inputs (1 and 2) on the 001 are +4dBu... the 1/4" inputs (3-8) are unbalanced and -10dBu's. (which kinda sucks...) but hey... at least I know what's goin' on now. :p

WATYF

Did you check in the setup->Hardware-> the option to move 3-8 to +4 as well

You know... it's wierd... I read that the input gain was software controlled, but then everybody started telling me that 3-8 inputs were -10, so I just left it at that... I shoulda looked into it more...

It appears that the default is -8dBV (instrument line level) but I can change it to +4... so... is there an advantage to using +4? Or should I just leave it at the defualt?

WATYF

First of all stop using inputs 1&2 if your using a different Pre as its like your going through 2 different pre's (including change of color).

Use input 3 and set it so that the Focusrite will work as you expect. Set the #3 input on the 001 at +4 and gain stage from there.

For the record.....Inputs 3-8 are balanced and Outputs 3-8 are unbalanced -10dBu line level.

ah,... i c.

Well.. for the record.. I wasn't using inputs 1 & 2 along with another pre. I just got the Penta, but up to this point I have been using the stock pres on the digi001 (1 & 2) by themselves.

So now I'll just set all my inputs to +4, seeing how I don't plan on buying anything that will use -10.

I just wondered if there was some kind of tangible advantage to using +4 vs -10 since I have the option in this case.

p.s... I don't like using inputs 3 & 4 because they have some kind of connection to the monitor mix and I can't use the "monitor mode" when I recording through those inputs, so I'll just use 7 & 8.

WATYF

Basicly there is no noticable difference in sound quality between the two but thats if you keep the cables short . +4 balanced works better with longer cables or if you suffer from any radio interfence or any electostatic noise.

I have a Focusrite Penta and I like it alot. I use it as often as my Joemeek VC1Qcs, and I think they complement eachother perfectly. Where the Joemeek is more agressive (comp), the Penta is cleaner, and while the Joemeek got EQ and de-esser/enhancer the Penta got tube simulation circuit, stereo width enhancer and two channels of compression (though only usable as stereo, and not 2x mono). Altough I don't use the stereo enhance much (or at all), the tube sim sounds very good actually, especially on DI'd bass. The preset approach on the Pentas comp makes it a very fast unit to work with too. Even if I personally like some presets better for things they were NOT intended for, as well as adjusting them a bit manually, I still set it up for recording in a matter of seconds, and it also helps when I want to find my way back to a sound prevously achieved.

The mic pre is good too, delivering a strong clean signal.

Back