Question re: FMR RNC and FMR RNLA

Doowah

Hi, folks. I've already purchased both the "Really Nice Preamp" (RNP) and the "Really Nice Compressor" (RNC) from FMR Audio after doing a lot of research here and on gearslutz.com, among other places. I am really pleased with both units and so far I feel like I've made good choices by adding them to my equipment line-up for the home recording studio that I'm assembling.

I'm relatively new to home recording, but I have a deep background in music, audio, electronics, and computers. So, I've learned a lot here and I'm catching on pretty quick. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the FMR Audio "Really Nice Leveling Amplifier" (RNLA) brings to the party. Just how is this piece of kit differentiated from the FMR RNC? I understand that it apparently "colors" the audio signal, as opposed to the RNC's more "transparent" treatment. But, is that the only difference between the two units? Is it simply another "flavor" of compression, or are there particular unique circumstances where the RNLA would be more appropriate than the RNC? What is the difference (if any) between a compressor and a "leveling amplifier"?

As usual, I apologize if this is a simplistic noob question. I'm just having a hard time seeing beyond the FMR Audio website's sparse description of this unit's functionality and application, and I'm unable to see where it might be useful to me in my home studio. In short, would it be desirable to own both the RNC and the RNLA?

Thanks for any insight that can be shared.

Last edited:
Though I'm not gonna be able to explain the difference with words (as my words aren't working well right now), I can tell you that it's pretty easy to hear and feel the difference if you actually use a leveling amp.
But who wants to spend the money, right?

There are some not particularly great plugins called "Modern Plugins."
You can get them here for free:
http://antress.er-webs.com/

There are a couple of emulations of some classic limiting amplifiers that, from what I've read, aren't particularly convincing.
However, in playing around with them, I've discovered just what a leveling amplifier is meant to do.
So download them, play around with them, see if it helps you out any.

Though I'm not gonna be able to explain the difference with words (as my words aren't working well right now), I can tell you that it's pretty easy to hear and feel the difference if you actually use a leveling amp.
But who wants to spend the money, right?

There are some not particularly great plugins called "Modern Plugins."
You can get them here for free:
http://antress.er-webs.com/

There are a couple of emulations of some classic limiting amplifiers that, from what I've read, aren't particularly convincing.
However, in playing around with them, I've discovered just what a leveling amplifier is meant to do.
So download them, play around with them, see if it helps you out any.

Thanks for the idea and the link. I'll try your suggestion and see if I can figure this out. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one for some reason.

Anyone else have some input on this?

I have an RNLA, and I'm not too impressed with it. It's got "color", yeah, but other compressors do it better.

I guess I'll pass...

Well, I suppose that if I don't know what it does or how to use it, then I don't need it! :)

I always thought a leveling amp was another term for a limiter, but according the article below, it's a compressor (yes, I know a limiter is a compressor, too). It says FMR calls it a leveling amp because it's designed to add color to the audio vs. the RNC which is transparent.... which you already knew. Looks like that's the only difference as far as function or usage are concerned.

http://emusician.com/signalprocessors/emusic_fmr_audio_2/

I always thought a leveling amp was another term for a limiter, but according the article below, it's a compressor (yes, I know a limiter is a compressor, too). It says FMR calls it a leveling amp because it's designed to add color to the audio vs. the RNC which is transparent.... which you already knew. Looks like that's the only difference as far as function or usage are concerned.

http://emusician.com/signalprocessors/emusic_fmr_audio_2/

Thanks for your input and the link, Chili. I am truly impressed with the quality and performance of FMR's products, but I think that I'll need to personally gain more experience in my home studio before I'll be able to obtain the full benefit of adding their "leveling amplifier" to my arsenal. It's all part of the learning curve, I guess.

Back