question on latency, firewire, PCI, and PC horsepower

Tweakberry

EDIT: i guess i should have posted this in the Digital Recording & Computers forum, sorry :o, feel free to move this thread please

Hi,

Right now i have SONAR X1 and an M-audio Delta 1010LT PCI interface and im getting 6.8ms latency roundtrip at 48k and 128 samples using ASIO drivers, so far that works well for me

Im thinking of buying the MOTU 828mk3 that has a firewire interface, and from i understand my latency will probably increase a bit from what im seeing with the 1010LT

So my question is, if i get the MOTU, and if in the future i get a newer PC with more horsepower, will i see a decrease in latency then?, or will i still be subject to a bottleneck in latency from the firewire connection even with the new system?

From what i understand the new system will allow me to run more plugins and more tracks, but right now i just want to talk about latency

also, im thinking of holding off on another interface for now, and getting a PCIe audio interface with the new system, it seems that many manufacturers are slow getting PCIe interfaces out there, can i assume that will change in the next year or two?

anyway, please give me your thoughts on this and have a great day :)

Last edited:
running an 828mkII daisy-chained to a glyph firewire drive.
I can get sub-10ms if I want (but generally run at an undetectable-to-me 17ms)
Firewire makes no difference.
Latency is the interaction of hardware interface and the asio drivers.
Motu knows what its doing.

thanks for the replies, i guess i should have mentioned that my latency question is about when using a plugin on the track being recorded, maybe i shouldnt worry so much anyway my ears cant hear that 6.8ms anyway, but i was afraid the firewire interface, as opposed to my PCI interface, would increase the latency to where i could detect the delay when using plugins while recording

anyway, i had a total newbie hour this afternoon, i had a drum track on track 1, and was trying to record guitar on track 2, dry using hardware monitoring, it wasnt working i could hear one or the other depending on whether or not i selected software return or the input for my guitar track for the output, finally i selected mixer for the output source set my levels and it was all good, duhhhhh:o

i think im gonna get the MOTU, definitely a step up from the 1010LT, right?, ive read online that the preamps are much better

right now im going:

guitars > presonus blue tube dp > 1010LT (input 3/4 RCA jacks) > SONAR

mics > presonus blue tube dp > 1010LT (input 1/2 XLR) > SONAR

with the MOTU i can eliminate the presonus and 1010LT, less devices in path and better sound, correct?

thanks again:)

guitars > presonus blue tube dp > 1010LT (input 3/4 RCA jacks) > SONAR

mics > presonus blue tube dp > 1010LT (input 1/2 XLR) > SONAR

with the MOTU i can eliminate the presonus and 1010LT, less devices in path and better sound, correct?

thanks again:)

Taking "affordable" tube gear out of your signal path probably won't hurt.

Back