Question on fender strats.

Freudian Slip

There is a strat for sale in my town for $300.00. I'm not a fender guy but, I was wondeing if there is a way I can tell where it was made from the front.?
I can't make out any words on the headstock. I figured a strat man might look at this and say "oh ya". It obviously says something under "fender".

Thanks
F.S.

Attachments

• 010112011513010402200808026ee74adf1fe0c2d4f8001ea0.jpeg
    010112011513010402200808026ee74adf1fe0c2d4f8001ea0.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
It will say "Made in ____" under the "STRATOCASTER", or on the back of the headstock.

From the length of the words in the picture, and the price being asked it looks like a Mexican made strat, in which case, that is actually asking a tad much. The resale values of MIMs are terrible.

It will say "Made in ____" under the "STRATOCASTER", or on the back of the headstock.

From the length of the words in the picture, and the price being asked it looks like a Mexican made strat, in which case, that is actually asking a tad much. The resale values of MIMs are terrible.

Thanks. I was plling up pic's on MF and found a MIM strat with the same writing so I'm sure you're right. I think I will let this one slide. Only interested in deals. Happy with my prs but always looking to add to the colletion;)

Thanks again.

F.S.

There is a strat for sale in my town for $300.00. I'm not a fender guy but, I was wondeing if there is a way I can tell where it was made from the front.?
I can't make out any words on the headstock. I figured a strat man might look at this and say "oh ya". It obviously says something under "fender".

Thanks
F.S.

Fenders are pretty random with serial numbers-here is a link that will tell how to get a rough date of manufacture for MIA & MIM Fender guitars. That single string tree is pretty standard on a Mexican Strat. Guitarer is correct that the headstock will say Made in Mexico and the serial # will start with MZxxxxxxx on anything newer than 2000. I have a 74' MIA Strat with the 500,000 range serial # and it only had a range of 1974 to 76 on the site-my 2003 MIM Strat actually has more info than the American made Strat...
http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar_vintage_guitar_dating_f.htm

Last edited:
Back