question on deleting areas of silence....

If I understand correctly, you are trying to not just take the empty spaces between musical events off the multi track page, you want to eliminate them, not have the session carry them around, right?

Try selecting the portion of the track you want to keep, splice it off from the rest of track (making sure it is locked in time) drag it to an empty track and then "make a unique copy" of it.

After doing that for all the peices you wish to keep, you will have a new track that is a collection of smaller waves instead of the longer one with silence. then delete the parent track from the session. I would keep it around in case...

If you are that worried about storage you should consider getting another hard drive. Generally the more processing, mixing down or copying you do the more your sounds will deteriorate. Digital file are still fragile

Generally the more processing, mixing down or copying you do the more your sounds will deteriorate. Digital file are still fragile

Not sure about that. The sound will only deteriorate if you are mixing two tracks with lots of hiss for example. You can make as many copies of the track as you want, it will be exactly the same each time. It's not like tape where it adds more hiss each bounce down you do.

Tukkis

I'm using 2 40 gig 7200RPM Seagate hard drives so I've got plenty of space. :) My wav files and all that are stored on one hard drive while my apps and everything else are on the other. And I've only had my system since February/March and I've just now used 1 gig on the audio hard drive.

Copying seams safe, but there is dithering and other math involved in many processes. Of course nothing like the degradation of bouncing tape, but I have made the mistake of processing my tracks to death in CEP.

Ya know, first you normalize, then eq maybe again, hard limit a bit to get the rms up there, etc .....each treatment involves every bit and eventually the tones lose ummph. I've heard it. Especially when you're summing 20-40 tracks that have all been worked on.

I try to keep a virgin file of everything recorded for a project somewhere so as to be able to compare.

Stuntmixer, chrisharris reports the same thing as you.

I tried this: I took two tracks and mixed them down into one track, then compared the new combined track to the originals. I can't hear any difference, and I can't see any difference. But chris talks about a cumulative effect, when you keep doing *lots* of stuff to a track.

Right, I often somehow end up with 40-50 tracks on a lot of songs that I do, not all on at the same time. I think mixing down is cool but what if you had 40 mixed down tracks each with dither.....If the dither transform results is checked then every time you eq, amplify........

I think I'm getting more and more sensitive (or paranoid) the more I do this.

This plays in the whole digital summing vs. analogue summing debate raging all over the audio boards.

I came to my conclusions when producing a record that took more than a year to track. The artist worked slooow and the tracks sat here with me tooo long. Being younger, dumber and not knowing any better, I felt obligated to work on them all the time, an eq here, an amplify there, compress this, limit this....tweak tweak tweak.

Individually I think all my treatments were good, but collectively the mixes just got smaller and smaller and smaller...

I didn't notice until it was too late and I had dug a big digital hole for myself, the project came out ok (listen at www.southwindstudios.net/Clips.htm Artist: JP Allen) but was way harder to mix that it should have been.

Keep in mind While I own 2.0 I still do most of my work on 1.2a.

Now I have stopped myself several times from doing the same thing. ProTools (as well as all DAWs) has a sound that is identifiable if you work on it much, so does CEP. I love the transpapency of CEP but it does start to dissapear (once again to my ears I've been called crazy before) when you start to pile processed track on processed track on.....

The lesson to me was: track it right and leave it alone. If at the end, at mix time a track needs help go for it, just don't process everything in the box......

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect any thing other than the opinions of this poster .......

Try this...

Not sure if this is what you want, but if I want to remove all the audio, i.e., noise or other extraneous sounds in a vocal track during, say, a guitar solo, I first convert it to a stereo track (if it isn't already). Next, I click on the left channel so that the right channel is dark and not heard, highlight the area in the left channel I want to silence, and then delete that. It won't take out any physical space because the left and right channels are locked together. It only removes the content of the highlighted area. Next, do the same with the right channel: highlight the area you want to silence and delete. I do this all the time, especially at the beginnings of songs and for comping.

You're welcome. :D

So ...did that work out for you? It seemed to me that this is what you were trying to do in the first place.

Basslord states:
I should mention I am using a previous version of CEP (not too old, but the one before the latest...can't remember the number off hand).

Hey Basslord, have you figgered out which "version" of CEP you have now? ;)

Back