question of quality

Pony!

I'm, very obviously, a hobbyist. Therefore my recording PC is also my home use PC. I record in my basement and whenever I do I drag my tower down to the basement to do so. My interface is a Mackie Onyx 1640, which doubles as my live rig as well. It is much easier to move the tower than this 150 pound live rig.

Anywho, my question is this: In my tower for normal use I have a creative X-fi soundcard run into a receiver and then out to two 70's fisher full range speakers. Would this be ok for mixing on, or should I drag my tower within range of the mixer and run it through my KRK's? Should I invest in some kind of second recording card so that I can continue mixing upstairs and just move my KRK's upstairs?

Interestingly enough what will work for you will not be all that similar to what works for anyone else

in some ways it is easier to respond to this type of question when poster is wanting to pursue a commercial goal. Budgets are always time as well as $ and a very significant reason for any commercial purchase can be to improve efficiency of the operation

generally speaking I would not recommend a creative card for any audio 'work', not for recording, editing or mixing. But if you are recording primarily, or exclusively, for your own entertainment and the creative card works for you . . . hey, don't change what aint broken. Inserting any new device or process into something as complex as an audio recording playback signal chain will almost always have unintended consequences. You can get the best piece of gear possible and spend six months troubling shooting artifacts in the system. Better speakers can and do highlight deficiencies in room and process.

More or less the same reasoning applies to using a hifi/home theater system to monitor production audio. The job of the hifi is to sound good, the job of production monitoring is to be 'accurate', very seldom are these the same thing.

But in recording the most important variable (after content and performance) for any music that is not completely electronic (tones generated electronically and listened to exclusive via headphones) is the room (followed by microphone and all other gear distant also rans) The problem with improving anything 'downstream' in an audio chain is that it invariably highlights, illustrates deficiencies 'upstream' Which does not mean you need to spend a half million buying a new building and then spending 6 million to renovate it for audio production before you can make perfectly acceptable music

it does mean that if you are content with the process and listening you have now that anything you change 'downstream' will probably not be a satisfactory one stop solution . . .

it is unlikely getting an audio card (don't consider anything branded creative to be 'audio' card) will produce significant improvement, if you are already OK with your final listening environment. If you listen exclusively on/in the hifi environment, changing to the KRK's in a typical basement is unlikely to produce significant improvement in the listening experience.

If your goal is to produce 'product' that has more consistent results across a broader range of listening environments that is a very different issue, whose most important variable (for anything that is going listened to anywhere but exclusively on headphones) is the 'room', in which it is recorded and room in which it is edited and mixed (with mixing environment being far more challenging then recording environment)

Main point is that, particularly if you are comfortable with your current listening experience no single thing you do is likely to improve, significantly, that experience. So? If you start making changes your at the very beginning of a very long, expensive path.

good luck

I'm, very obviously, a hobbyist. Therefore my recording PC is also my home use PC. I record in my basement and whenever I do I drag my tower down to the basement to do so. My interface is a Mackie Onyx 1640, which doubles as my live rig as well. It is much easier to move the tower than this 150 pound live rig.

Anywho, my question is this: In my tower for normal use I have a creative X-fi soundcard run into a receiver and then out to two 70's fisher full range speakers. Would this be ok for mixing on, or should I drag my tower within range of the mixer and run it through my KRK's? Should I invest in some kind of second recording card so that I can continue mixing upstairs and just move my KRK's upstairs?

Your workflow is not conducive to recording. Having to lug a tower into the basment (or the live rig out of it) every time you want to record is a big disincentive to record.

What is it about the basement that makes it a desirable space in which to record? Convenience? Is it an acoustically friendly space? Is it somewhere where you can make noise without neighbourly retribution? Or is it simply where you keep the rig between gigs?

If there are compelling reasons for using the basement, then you really should make this a dedicated recording space, and get yourself a PC for this purpose.

However, if the space where you normally have your home PC set up is actually better (which could very well be the case given the usual acoustic properties of basements), or warmer, or easier, or suitable for the sort of recording you want to do, then do the recording there and leave the rig in the basement.

Get an audio interface, hook up your Fishers or your KRKs to this. You don't necessarily need the mixer for recording, so you can keep recording gear and live rig apart.

Ok, firstly. Thanks for your responses guys.

I do have an old Echo Layla 24 lying around. I was thinking about just selling it, because I have the onyx. I could use that for mixing when I'm upstairs. Right now I can't afford a second tower. Hooray for joblessness.

Also the reason I'm not able to do all the recording upstairs is for several reasons. As a college student I'm renting in a pretty small space. To make matters worse I share this space with my girlfriend. To make matters even worse we rent on a street that actually restricts rental space for college students. We get around this with a loophole and all of our older neighbors hate us for it. Whenever they can they find a reason to have the police knocking my door. I've tried to have band practices and sessions upstairs... But it always ends abruptly.

Back