Question of etiquete...(is that how you spell it?)

jkokura

I make cables - mic, instrument, TRS...

My question is, if I put a price list up of cables that I could make for people here in the Forum is that bad form? I ask simply because I don't know if the rules prohibit this kind of thing... This isn't a business exactly, it's more like a service - I make good cables that would cost you less than if you bought them at GC or wherever but I make charge enough on top of costs for it to be worth my time...what do you guys think? Would anyone be interested, or at least know that somebody would be interested?

Jacob

Not me! I bought some of Jacob's cables (well traded really) and they are excellent and fairly priced. This would be the place to do that.

What would probably be a better idea and would adhere to certain principles here better is to make your own website for it and post a link here. That way you can stay within HR.com's rules a little better. It's a tough call. You say you are not doing it to be a business, and I don't really doubt that. But, at the same time you are openly making money on it (personal gains). In many ways, that really is no differnt than any othe manufacturere doing this same thing, which I think many people here would have a problem with.

I personally do not make my own cables, but have opened up a cable dealership. To make a long story short, I used to make my own. Then I bought a large format console and it had 3 180 pin ELCO connectors, 68 DB25 connectors, and somewhere arond 1000 TT patch points (maybe more). The bottom line is that I have neither the time nor desire to make cables of that type and in that amount. Instead, I opened a dealership. I was shocked to find out how little a quality cable cost with quality connectors. I found that I could buy them premade for barely more than it cost for the materials to make it, but the premade cables have much better solder jobs. I have even ordered a couple of snakes for people (custom jobs) and the build quality was pretty nice. Much better than I would have done on my own. Now, I offer bids to other people when they have need of cabling. I always however wait until someone asks about buying cables, and usually I PM them rather than publically posting. This way I am sure to avoid any issues concerning policy here:)

No problem here. SPAM on, dude. Oh- and that's "etiquette". One of the most commonly mispelled words in the English language. If you look it up online you'll find dozens of web sites who claim they'll teach you "ettiquette". The first step in learning online etiquette is learning how to spell! Unless, of course, U r a gangsta rapper, in witch caisse, U wood onlee luk stoopid. The next step, of course, is the frequent use of words that do not exist ("online",as above, for instance), and the use of nouns and adjectives as verbs, as in "onboarding" and "networking". This is the real mark of a true geek.-Richie

you're gonna piss me off!

BTW...you're hangin' it out there now...you know it's gonna hafta be good right?

I mean, you worked the crowd, the hype is up now if you don't deliver, you're toast...you know that right?

Back