Question I probably should have asked earlier

Porter

aka WookieMan
Sonar 2.0 XL files...

I've installed the software but haven't played around with it or read the instruction manual yet. How is each track stored? Are they separate wav files or do all projects come in the Bundle file?

I'm just sitting here at work a my mind started think about it... If you could please settle my mind.

Thanks,

Porter

Each "clip" is stored as a separate wave file. A track can be a single clip, or it can consist of multiple clips, depending on how it was recorded.

The wave files are named by Cakewalk, using a very cryptic naming system (e.g., cwopxx4dd.wav).

However, if you use the Compact Audio command, or if you save the file as a bundle file, all the waves are compacted into one, single wave file. This can help with playback, since it elminates fragments spread all over your hdd.

I recommend the folder-per-project introduced with Sonar 2. It's a blessing! ;)

I think you'll find the option under Options -> Global -> Audio Data.

moskus,

That's a tweak I haven't tried yet. What are the benifits of using that setting?

Would it help reduce latency?

Thanks,
tp

tpresz said:
moskus,

That's a tweak I haven't tried yet. What are the benifits of using that setting?

Would it help reduce latency?

Thanks,
tp
This has nothing to do with latency. It's just how you want your wave files stored on your hard drive - all in one folder, or individual folder per project.

The benefit is mostly for backup purposes. Some people prefer not to use bundle files (or sometimes the bundles are too big to fit on a CD).

It can also be helpful if you are looking to find a specific wave file for some reason.

If you have been saving in standard .wrk format...(can't remember if sonar uses wrk's...but you guys know what i'm sayin' rite? I hope...I just started using sonar very recently so cut me some slack)...and you have all the randomly named wav.files in your wave data folder, will the "folder per project" option rename the files and re-folderize (is that a word?) them for all projects or just the selected ones? If not...what happens? Would it just be on a "per project" basis or everything saved after the setting has been adjusted just be affected?

No reorganizing of you Audio-folder, sorry. Just the new projects will have all the wavs in it's own folder.

Back