question for windows XP users..

CDT-sHaG

hey, how would XP run on an old BX chipset (abit bh6), an overclocked pIII 700e (to 933), a geforcec2 graphics card, 256mb pc133 ram...soon to be added audiophile 24/96 or echo mia...

i have win98se now with n-track and it is rock solid for me.., but after reading a bit, it seems i'm asking for a lot of sh1t just to install a good soundcard under 98se...

thanks..

Last edited:
CDT-sHaG said:
hey, how would XP run on an old BX xhipset (abit bh6), an overclocked pIII 700e (to 933), a geforcec2 graphics card, 256mb pc133 ram...soon to be added audiophile 24/96 or echo mia...

i have win98se now with n-track and it is rock solid for me.., but after reading a bit, it seems i'm asking for a lot of sh1t just to install a good soundcard under 98se...

thanks..

XP ran just fine on my previous system. It was a PII-400 with 512Mb RAM and an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 with the Audiophile as well.

Latency values were acceptable.

>i have win98se now with n-track and it is rock solid for me.., but after reading a bit, it seems i'm asking for a lot of sh1t just to install a good soundcard under 98se...

I'd say if it ain't broke- don't fix it. Plenty of great soundcards run fine under Win98SE. My GINA for one. And from what I've heard, 256MB is slim pickins under XP.

If you were going to get another system and had to buy an O/S then I'd say go for XP.

drstawl said:
>i have win98se now with n-track and it is rock solid for me.., but after reading a bit, it seems i'm asking for a lot of sh1t just to install a good soundcard under 98se...

I'd say if it ain't broke- don't fix it. Plenty of great soundcards run fine under Win98SE. My GINA for one. And from what I've heard, 256MB is slim pickins under XP.

If you were going to get another system and had to buy an O/S then I'd say go for XP.

ditto that.

I would say the factors on installing a soundcard are a lot more dependant on your chipset.

Like the good Doc said, If you were building a new system, then definately go for the XP...and PRO at that, cause after all we're all Pro's right ?:D.

the gina is a little overkill for me..i don't need 8 outs..

how about the mia? does it run well under win98se?

thanks...

Ditto above - your system should run XP fine, but unless you have a pressing need for it - or your machine is crashing a lot - I'd just stay put. If you do decide to upgrade to XP, be sure to amke a backup with something like Ghost or Drive Image before you upgrade.

Back