Question for Win XP users

Markd102

Hi Folks

I'm currently running a Digi001 on Win98SE. Digi however will soon (I hope) be releasing their new version of PTLE which will run on XP.

I've never used XP but I've heard that you need to have internet access to use it. To register, update etc. or it won't work. Is this the case? The problem is that my studio computer is not (and if I can help it, never will be) connected to the Net. Am I in trouble?

Thanks
Mark

xp is a real dogs balls to handle, i hate it, but the g/f loves it so i'm not allowed to put 98 back on..... at least it has a "classic" skin so it can look like 98....

i don't think it needs to be net connected, maybe its optimized for net connection (whatever that means)... but think of all the people out there using unrege'd versions, surely communication between the o/s and billy g via the net would ring alarm bells that a fraud is in action...

to put it simply i doubt very much that you need to be connected... i dont use my p.c. for music (not scince xp) so i really can't comment on it in that sense, but i really hope your actual question has been answered somewhere in the bull shit above :D

To "activate" WinXP you don't need to be connected to the Internet. I think they give you 30 days to call the number they give you or connect to the Internet and activate you rwindows product. If I am not mistaken you can also "register" WinXP when you "activate" it. But that is not mandatory. I personally did both online.

You don't need net access.. it just makes the activation quicker.. you can just call once you have it installed.

As for the XP Bashing... :p I have used every version of Windows since 3.1... and I have never been happier with a Windows O/S. Sure they could have toned it down on the "bulk" and what not... but since I don't have the time to go with Linux (or the patience) I just try to use the best Windows OS out there.. and XP is definitely it.

WATYF

WinXP is the most stable windows OS I've ever used. Cubase, which hardly ever crashed on Win98, almost never crashes now. THe few times it has, it also let me save my work before making a quiet exit. No more Blue Screen Of Death. Yeay! XP is getting close to what windows should have been all along. Now if they'd just base it on Unix (like Mac OS X) instead of NT they'd have it right... :rolleyes: Yeah, that'll happen.

Yeah, you don't need to internet at all for XP. There are voluminous updates for it, but most of them are internet security updates so you won't need them. There are some really nice features to it, too. Try the "truetype" screen font rendering instead of "smooth screen fonts"- you won't believe how much it saves your eyestrain.

It is kind of a bear to change OS's for audio, though. You will need all the latest drivers for your gear and that will require a net conection. If you have a CD burner on your net computer you can just burn the downloads to CD and run them over via sneaker-net. If not, set your studio machine up for the net, get it all running, then remove the net stuff.

Good luck,
Chris

Now if they'd just base it on Unix (like Mac OS X) instead of NT they'd have it right
I don't know why people think this. Besides, NT is based on VMS, which is based on UNIX.

FYI, Blue Screen of Death is only associated with NT based operating systems. The Win9x blue screen is just a blue screen, or a Blue Screen of Imminent Peril, if you will.

Elevate. ;) I just like vi and bash much better than the "edit" and the command prompt. I guess its an interface thing, really, and not the innards of the OS.

Chris

I agree with Chris. XP is alot more stable than others. As for digi-001, Beta testing started in Janurary. It could be another few months. What are your performance stats with digi on pc? I was just wondering. I almost went with digi myself, but after spending a month on the digi users conference, I decided on the Aardvark Q10 instead. A friendly word of advice, spend time customizing xp for audio. It takes a few extra minutes but it's worth it. I hope digi gets it right with this release, for your sake and all other pc users.

Actually my 98SE system is rock solid and I can run 24 tracks and shit loads of plugs without a hitch. So it's not really the XP thing that I'm looking forward to in this upgrade. It's more the video support etc that it's supposed to contain.
I'm just assuming that the next version will not run on 98 and I'll be forced to get XP.

Mark

If you get the pro version of XP, as opposed to the Home version, you won't have all of that pain in the ass on line verification crap to deal with.

Also, it is very stable, and supports peripherals much better than win 2000 does.

Just make sure you have all of yoru updated drivers in yoru box before yo uupgrade, so when it goes to look for new drivers for your stuff, you'll have them already. Fewer headaches.

bushice

Bushice said:
If you get the pro version of XP, as opposed to the Home version, you won't have all of that pain in the ass on line verification crap to deal with.

Not true unless it is the corporate/enterprise version. You cannot get you hands on that version LEGALLY unless you are a corporation buying multiple licenses.

There are utilities available online that will disable the need for registration. You dont need the corporate version to do so. I have used XP, legally, since before it was released. I have never registered it, and I dont intend to.

XP is by far the best OS microsoft has ever com up with, and I have tried them all, every version of dos, windows version 1.x and up, and XP is the first time they got it right.

Can you give me a link to these utilities?
I hate giving anything to M$. It's bad enough to have to pay for an OS!

The only problem you'll run into with XP and no net connection is you won't get the automatic updates to fix Bill's Boy's fuck-ups.
True enough: they are mostly internet security patches but I don't think they've found all the screw-ups yet. And the sneaker-net between a DAW and an Internet box should work. MS loves that- they get to sell you TWO OS's.... :) hahahaha

Other than that I have to say I'm not bummed about switching from 98 to XP. I also hate the cartoony GUI but it seems to work a little smoother in general than 98.

However:

>and XP is the first time they got it right

I don't believe they will EVER get it right. Their plan is to always leave something to fix that's terribly wrong as opposed to always looking for something that can improve stability, compatibility and price. It's obvious that they believe that given a year or two, their piracy protection racket for any particular product will be destroyed by the hacker community so their only defense is to make the product somewhat shitty to inspire users to purchase their next O/S.

When optimizing XP for audio, it is actually recommended that you disable the feature that does the internet updates and so-on. It can be unnecessarily disruptive if you are doing a recording session while XP is trying to update itself. :)

Yep, that cartoony GUI sucks. Switch to the classic interface - like I did - on XP. BTW, I've had way fewer crashes in n-track using XP. And I don't think my system has frozen up and needed a reboot more than 4 times - max - since putting XP on the computer when MS offically released it last year. That's better than the at least once a day BSD routine on Windows ME.

Back