Question for Light

Clive Hugh

Light,
I am thinking of replacing the narrow frets on a maple fretboard tele with jumbos but have never refretted a one piece maple. I have heard that you should heat the frets with a soldering iron till the laquer becomes plastic before pulling the fret. I this a good idea? And if I do this can I then walk the frets out as per a rosewood?
Clive

Take it to someone whose done it before, really. Refreting maple is a GIANT PITA. At the very least, you are going to have some finish damage that will need to be touched up, between your fret puller scratching the shit out of the finish, and the chips that are going to fly. So no, it is never like refreting rosewood and ebony.

For that matter, you would probably be better off getting a custom neck from USA Custom or Warmoth. It would likely be cheaper, at any rate, particularly if they will make you one with the profile you want..

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Clive Hugh said:
Thanks for that, looks like a new neck, I've never heard of USA Custom so I'll have a look at their website.
Clive

As much as I have always liked Warmoth's necks, I have to say that at the moment USA Custom is making the best neck avalible. We've had necks of theirs come into the shop and ended up with a group of us just sitting around looking at them going, "wow, that's really nice." Really top notch work.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
As much as I have always liked Warmoth's necks, I have to say that at the moment USA Custom is making the best neck avalible. We've had necks of theirs come into the shop and ended up with a group of us just sitting around looking at them going, "wow, that's really nice." Really top notch work.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Yep, I liked their website too.

Back