Question for Boss BR1600 users

bluesmouse

Can any BR1600 users shed some light on how good the unit's built-in preamps and compression are? I was particularly wondering about this in regard to recording acoustic guitars and vocals (when the levels can often be a bit quiet and need boosting). I'd like to know if I'll need extra preamps and a compressors eventually if the ones in the Boss aren't up to scratch.

Thanks

If you have an oppurtunity, there are some demo songs on the unit that sound great.

They were supposed to have been recorded with that very unit. Who knows though. They could have been using external pre's and compressors.

I have done some stuff with it that sounded really good to me (and people I passed the songs around to).

I think the best thing you could hope to do is to rent one, or play with one some how.

Oops. I was replying to your post thinking that you had not bought the unit yet. I re-read your post and think that you do own the machine, but your still not sure about the pre-s and compression.....

....do I have this right ?

Hi Matt,
No I don't have the unit yet- just curious if I'll have to shell out extra $ once I've got it. Thanks for the info

I have roughly 5 years experience as an amateur home studio operator.
(I listen to music constantly, and I read about the subject daily).
I record rock, pop, folk, blues etc.

In my opinion, the unit is good enough for my ears, and good enough for what I wanted to achieve.

I only traded up because I got a crazy deal on a Vs-2000, and I like the ability to use keyboard / monitor / and mouse.

Otherwise, I would have stayed with the Br1600. I missed the Br1600 so much when I traded it in, that I convinced my brother to go buy it back.
So now I have access to both great machines.

I think they pre-amps are great. As I mentioned earlier, check out the demo songs on the unit, they sound good.

There are other people on this bbs that have really done some good stuff with it. Last year somebody did a Christmas song, and it turned out fantastic. Maybe that person could post it again this year !

I think the song was sung in another language.

Was it you Kevin1600 who posted that ?

I basically agree with Matt, but wouldn't call the preamps "Great." When fully cranked they are kinda noisy. But if you get yourself, a high output low noise condeser mic (Rode NT1A, for example), you'll never need to crank the gain knob.

A good outboard pre will sound more musical, there's no doubt about it. But you can definitely record a great sounding song that people will love with the BR-1600. I've done it.

It's funny you should mention the Rode NT1A. I was going to go for the AT4040 as my main vocal mic but I've noticed that the NT1A is popular amongst musicians. I've also heard that the AT4040 has a neutral sound and I'm wondering if I'd be better with a mic that compensates for my thin vocal. Don't know if the NT1A does this, but I'm torn between the two mics now!

Well,

I have the 4040, which I love. I wouldn't call it neutral. It's kinda midrangy, in a way that suits me (I like the old-time country sound). The NT1A is brighter and, of course. less noisy. As far as "thin" vocals go; you might consider a dynamic mic. I heard a rumor that they recorded Michael Jackson Thriller album vocals with a SM57 or 58; He's obviously a great singer, but has a "thin" voice............

Back