Question for Blue Bear

tanlith

King of the Wicker People
You seem to have auditioned a lot of monitors...

... what would you advise me to use to audition them? As in... what CD(s) should I bring to play through them?

Someone once told me I should use a "well mixed professional store-bought" CD with a "clean mix".

Any ideas?

- Tanlith -

I created a "Mix Reference" CD for myself and use that also to audition monitors...

Some Steely Dan, Red Hot Chili Peppers, XTC, Lou Bega, etc... just a cross-section of good-sounding (and not so good-sounding songs).......

I might also suggest that you use material you are very familiar with. It will be helpful in relating what you are hearing from monitor to monitor.

Walk with the Bear... Make sure that you have some not-so-good sounding stuff... That's important. If your crappy sounding stuff sounds good in the control room, look for another place.

Massive Master said:
Walk with the Bear... Make sure that you have some not-so-good sounding stuff... That's important. If your crappy sounding stuff sounds good in the control room, look for another place.

Thanks for the info and ideas peeps!

Umm ... just so I know I'm not confuzzled... you're saying that I should bring some crappy sounding mixes with me... and if they sound good then that's bad and I should move on right?

- Tanlith -

Essentially, yes... You know how you can play pretty much ANYTHING through some monitors and home speakers and it'll just sound fine no matter what?

You want to hear monitors that won't cover up the bad stuff. Therefore, you need to have bad stuff available. Know what I mean?

Got it MM... makes perfect sense to me ;)

Thanks for all the great info peeps! :)

- Tanlith -

Back