Question about using a mixer w/the AW16g

washingtonbc

I use the AW16G to record my band's demos. What I initially do is this: Record 4 tracks for the drums (2 overheads, snare, bass drum) while I also record 1 track keys and 1 track bass guitar scratch. Then I overdub.....

So, what I would like to get is a mixer that I can plug the initial 4 drum mics into (utilize the preamps of the mixer) and still get 4 seperate signals out of it to record 4 separate tracks on the g with. Am I making sense? I don't want to use the external mixer to "mix", just to use for preamps. Can I do this with the Yamaha MG 10/2? How about a Mackie 1202 or 1402?

Thanks

BC

washingtonbc said:
I use the AW16G to record my band's demos. What I initially do is this: Record 4 tracks for the drums (2 overheads, snare, bass drum) while I also record 1 track keys and 1 track bass guitar scratch. Then I overdub.....

So, what I would like to get is a mixer that I can plug the initial 4 drum mics into (utilize the preamps of the mixer) and still get 4 seperate signals out of it to record 4 separate tracks on the g with. Am I making sense? I don't want to use the external mixer to "mix", just to use for preamps. Can I do this with the Yamaha MG 10/2? How about a Mackie 1202 or 1402?

Thanks

BC

If you just want more preamps, why not buy preamps? You already have digital mixing on the AW16G.

Because the preamps on the G are "pretty good". If I get a mixer, I can get the benefits of the mixer's "better" preamps (4 -? channels) at a lower cost than preamps.

BC

I have the AW4416...

I enjoy the pres on it better than my "mixer" pres like my 12 ch. little behringer practice mixer. Are you just looking for a way to get more than 2 XLRs?

Back