Question about triggers for an acoustic set

yep

you would need a brain

You could ick up an old alesis D4 from rBay - that's what I use. I think Roland makes a stand alone "trigger to midi convertor"

Instead of buying triggers you can use piezo elements from radio shack (that's what is inside the triggers you buy)

lD

damn that's not what i was hoping. haha. a brain it going to be more than i can fit into my budget. oh well, thanks anyways.

If you get drumagog, all you need are close-mic'd tracks. There are some filters and such to try and pick indiviidual drums out of, say, an overhead track, but it's a bit of a stretch to get it to work well. Any close mic'd track however, is almost magic in that you turn the plugin on, select the sample, and it does exactly what you wanted it to do.

Sorry, don't wanna diss anyone, but I'm pretty sure, you'll be able to use drumagog on any standard piezo drum trigger (which is in fact almost any trigger afaik).

I use an alesis D4, and really like it, but from everything I know about drumagog, it should work... Try it out: buy a simple 1$ piezo element, solder two wires and a connector to it, use some gaffa to tape it to your drum and record the output.... (I even built me some 'cheapass e-drums that way using soft CD housings with piezos glued to them. The rebound is shit but you CAN use them as triggers...) Should work with the described triggers, too, I'm pretty sure they are piezos...

aXel

These will work for you with out a brain. You basicly record the out put of each to an individual track in your DAW and then you can you any kind of sound replacer program. The tracks before replacing will just sound like nasty clicky drum tracks.

just a tip from an electronics engineering perspective.
sending triggers directly to a sound card/mixer without conditioning by a drum brain or other device sounds fine in theory. but its not something i would do.
i was told once by an electronics engineer there could be issues possibly
in maybe mucking up an input on a soundcard or mixer.
but ive never been able to verify this. so i take the safe route.
i agree - i make my own drum triggers out of cheap piezo discs. work great.
just cover both sides with some sturdy material and stick together.

From my understanding a drum trigger, like a mic or speaker, is a transducer, so I would think that you would have no problem running them straight into a recording program and then using drumagog or something of that ilk. You might need to run them through preamps first to bring the level up, but as long as it registers some sort of signal it should work, even if it is just a really ugly click sound. FWIW, the one time I used drumagog I took the drum tracks and just EQed them until the actual sound was hardly distinguishable, but the signal was there at the right time. It sounded like crap, but it triggered Drumagog just fine without any phantom triggering or anything like that.

Back