question about the shure pg48

needmyownstudio

i am looking to build a set up and booth to record hip hop vocals. i have used the shure pg48 a few times in the past. i remember being very pleased with the way my voice sounded through the microphone but this time there will be a few major differences. last time i recorded with the pg48 i recorded and mixed on an mpc something or other (i dont remember it was a long time ago). this time i will be hooking the microphone up to a digidesign mbox and will be tracking in pro tools. now my question is this when i started trying to research this shure pg48 i realized it was unbeleivably cheap. so im trying to find the older audio i have of myself recorded using one of these mics. i cant find it anywhere. im thinkin if the mic is this cheap maybe the recording quality wasnt as nice as i remembered it (i was less knowledgable about how a good mic should sound at that time, so this is a possibility). does anyone have any personal opinions about this mic, or has anyone heard anyone elses user feedback? also while im on the subject. my home studio is being set up specifically to record vocals. can anyone think of any essentials that i am missing in my set up? im looking at getting or already own the following: a new mic (any recommendations?), an mbox (comes equipted with pre amps, soundcard, and pro tools), pop filter, mic stand, mic booth, moniters (anyone have any suggestions on moniters?)

thanks for all your help

The 3035 is a wonderful mic that I bought when I started out and still use on some vocals and recently (thanks Warhead) found very nice on cabs. You will love it now and always find a use for it later when you buy better mics. I like the Shures for live but have not used it in my studio yet( I have four 58's and three beta 58's), but if you say you like it on your voice, then............. use it!

The PG series is Shure's bottom line, mainly aimed at people who are just starting out. The PG 48 is the least expensive mic, and compared to the SM series it sounds boxy, and muddy, and has a pretty limited top end, with quite abit of handling noise.

It's probably not a mic that you would be happy with for very long.

thanks for all the help so far

does anyone have any higher end mics they would like to recomend, or do you think id be fine with an at3035? because im trying to go for the best sound possible for a decent price.

Back